Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouts in Zone 5

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 3:44

I went out to have a look at my pop bottles yesterday and they seemed very dry and I was thinking I'd have to go out and water them today. But we had lots of rain and today I have sprouts (Primrose seeds I collected from a beautiful volunteer ). I was so excited to see things coming to life. This has been a hard and long winter. The grass is greening and it's time to get out and get my hands dirty. Heavenly!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouts in Zone 5

I haven't noticed any sprouts here yet, but must admit I haven't looked closely at my containers. I do think I may have to water some of them. This morning they are all covered with snow. haha

I am still waiting to start my warm-germinating perennial seeds. Maybe I should leave them another week or two.

o
RE: Sprouts in Zone 5

always exciting to see the first signs of green! :-)

The weather has been rough and cold, so I am surprised that I have several bottles of sprouts. I had a couple already but I think that the beautiful day on Thursday with temps in the twenties, really did it. I have snapdragons, cosmos, scarlet gilia, alyssum, Iceland poppies, oriental poppy (royal wedding), hetteropappus(sp?) blue knoll, parsley, amaranthus pygmy torch and I think another one or two that I just can't think of right now. The bottles have been sitting out in the open on the patio table which sits near a huge evergreen (of the neighbour's) and gets sun from early afternoon until early evening (when there is sun :-)), but when I heard that the temp was to go to zero overnight, I did put the sprouted ones in under the patio roof.

We have had so much rain that I find that some of the containers are almost soggy and are starting to get a mossy haze to the soil. I hope that doesn't harm the germination and spoil things! :-) I didn't have great success last year, so I am hoping for better this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here