Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Still having t rouble with moisture

northerner_on
16 years ago

Hello everyone:

I started to WS in 2005 and have been quite successful, and one would think I would be quite confident in sowing, but my one big headache each year, and throughout the sowing period is 'how damp should the seed starter be?' As you all know, that seed-starter can absorb lots of water. I usually pre-moisten it, but should it be so moist you can squeeze the water out? Usually, I fill my container and if it is not driping, then I put it under the tap and it begins to drain and I think it is too wet. So I let it drain all night and wonder next morning if it is wet enough. This year, I have put quite a number of containers out while they are still quite moist (drip if squeezed) an now most of my containers have 'lots' of condensation, and since I have no germination, I wonder if my seeds have rotted. Should the soil be so wet that the containers show some condensation? I have sprayed a few which showed no condensation. I am very uneasy about this, so I would appreciate it if you would share your expertise/experience with me. Thank you.

Northerner.

Comments (4)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Hi Northerner,
    I wet my soil in a small bucket and then place it in the containers. While they drip in the sink, I choose what seeds I'm going to sow, get the tags done and then go for sowing, placing tag, placing cover. So that soil is saturated.

Every day now when I check the conatiners, I have to tap, tap, tap the tops to get the condensation down so I can see if they've sprouted. Lots of condensation!

Things have really started sprouting in the last few days, but there's still lots more to come.

Condensation is good. As long as your containers drain well, I wouldn't worry about it. Things should be fine.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Tiffy:
    Thanks for your input. After reading your post, I think your point about good drainage is probably key, because today I went out and actually took the lids off some of my 2-litres, to find that they were quite dry,even though I had put some out 'dripping' and lots of them were filled with snow after being covered most of the winter. We have had about 5 days of unseasonably warm weather and they are in full sun so I guess that does a good job of drying them. Tomorrow I will get the hose out to wet them. I will definitely stop worrying about over-saturation - especially for my spring sowing. Tomorrow, I plan to sow my salvias. I am planning a new 'salvia' bed and I have a collection of about 8 different types, including Yvonne's salvia. Really looking forward to that.
    Northerner.

• sharont
    16 years ago

Hi Northerer,
    I too have had lots of condensation on the inside of my bags. So I chose to open them up a 'smidgin' for a day. All of the germinated pots are opened completely until the seedlings are taller.
    I do want to suggest you have some sort of shade cloth over top of your bottles, pots. Or, groan, move all of them to a shadier site where they won't dry out on you while you are at work, etc. I believe I read Nicole has done that already.
    I put a thermometer into a pot one day and was surprised to see a 29 degree C. temp! The present hot weather is helping to germinate faster but it is also going to cook some of the seeds too. Some of my annuals are not sprouting and I wonder if it's just too hot or perhaps the seeds are too old. LOL

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the 'heads-up', Sharon. With the continued summer temps. here I realize I would have needed to water twice a day, so today, I took the time to move them all.
    Almost everything has germinated now, so I have all the tops partially off, and the majority will have only a few hours sun in the afternoon, while the poppies are in an area with a few hours of morning sun. I'll see how that goes for the next few days. Still wondering if to hold off an a few annuals I have left. They are some rare salvias which were sent by a friend who knows I am doing a salvia bed this year. My 'river' next to the fence has finally dried up and I am amazed to see some Siberian Irises poking their little heads through. They were sent to be as transplants last summer and the foliage all dried up so I thought they were done for but these little troopers have been under ice,snow and water for all these months and they are still surviving. I will soon need to amend the soil for my pole beans, and I will have to make a new bed for my Lychnis - they all germinated - thanks Tiffy. It's getting so exciting.

Sponsored