Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Yvonne's Salvia

northerner_on
15 years ago

Has anyone in Canada planted Yvonne's salvia and had germination to date? I planted all my salvias April 19 and several of them have already germinated. Of course Yvonne's is the one I am most interested in having. Anyone has sprouts?

Northerner.

Comments (7)

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I just planted mine last night, but only a few and I am afraid to say that I decided to keep them inside (hanging my head in shame). I only have a few seeds and have heard diffent opinions on their cold tolerence so don't want to risk losing them. We are expecting 2 degrees and the "S" word by Tuesday.
    I didn't want to wait any longer, so they could have a good head start. I will keep my eye on your post to see how you make out with yours. I will probably plant the rest and the other salvias that I have after Tuesday.
    gg

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

I too planted some indoors. I planted them near the end of March because I'd heard they can take a long time to get to the bloom stage because of their size. Being in zone 3a, we don't have much growing time for a plant like this. They are doing beautifully. About 4 inches tall now. I'd be very interested in hearing about the future results of any that have been wintersowed.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am afraid we got mixed messages. I read somewhere that it was a Salvia splendens, and they are winter-sowable according to the database for my zone, and it (splendens) is also on the list of cold-hardy annuals. Maybe I will re-check the database to see what the germination date is. With this cold weather coming, I may take it in for a while anyway. I had very few seeds and I sowed them all so I won't have a second chance.

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Hi Northerner_on,

If for any reason it doesn't work out for you, get back in touch with me and we should arrange a trade. I arranged for a couple of trades of these this year, so I have a few seeds of Yvonne's salvia listed on my trade page. I could send you a few more if you need a second chance.

Thanks....Heather

• cziga
    15 years ago

I planted mine inside a while back, for the same reason as Heather -- I heard that they take a while to get to their full size. No wintersowing here. I did have germination and they are currently growing under lights indoors. With this current cold weather, I'm not going to move them outside yet. Mine aren't quite 4 inches tall, more like 2-3.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!! Today I went out to protect my containers from the cold-snap and there were sprouts of Yvonne's Salvia!! They were very small, just breaking through, so I hope they survive. I moved them near to the house since we will be going down to 3 degrees tonight, but tomorrow is expected to be colder and I will put them in the garage. Thanks for your offer Heather - it's so kind of you to give me something to fall back on, but I hope I don't have to take you up on it.
    Northerner.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Glad to hear that Northerner!I got frustrated with lack of space issues and stuck mine outside after reading that you said that you heard they were winter sowable.
    I have them on the patio under the patio roof, so I hope they are okay. They should be after I see that you have germination! YAY!

Sponsored