Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

The joy of Winter Sowing

northerner_on
16 years ago

Hello everyone:

Although I have been lamenting the very long winter we had, the snow that still remains in my backyard, the 'river' that has formed against my back fence,and the lack of 'green' in any of my containers, I am overjoyed by 'discovering' many of the perennials I sowed last year, and which I expect to bloom this year. These include: Gaillardia (this was under water and I thought it was done for); Monarda fistulosa and Didyma (red); Red Maltese Cross;several varieties of Columbine; Lupins; White Mallow; Dianthus & Sweet William; Echinacea White Swan; Blue Flax; Jacob's Ladder; Verbascum; Delphiniums; Foxgloves; Egyptian Onion; perennial Candytuft. I also have some bulbs in pots which are sprouting: King Alfred Daffodils and two pots of tulips; and three new varieties of Asiatic Lily; some Siberian Iris sent in a trade are sending out shoots under water. I am so excited each day I go out and realize that something else is growing ,that I am finally realizing that while gardening provides a refuge and peaceful escape from the 'rat race', it also provides unbelievable joy when everything is awakening in the Spring. And it is all thanks to Trudi and her ideas and all the wonderful people I have met on the Mother Forum and this Canadian forum. Whatever happens with my present containers, I have still sown enough annuals to fill in any spaces. I forgot to mention my peonies - ones I had moved from the back which had their first few blooms last year and which will really fill out this year. There are a couple things I haven't seen: Winecups (they were under water), Toad Lilies, liatris, Blue Flax, but they may show up. Returning are my Helenium , Asclepias, and Agastache, so I am very thankful and really don't have anything to complain about. How about you?

Northerner.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths