Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kanuk_gw

Question: What soil for transplanting?

kanuk
15 years ago

My success with winter sowing has surpassed my expectations! Everything is coming up and my containers are looking very healthy and extremely full. I couldn't be happier. This, however, has me in a position where I need to transplant seedlings into individual nursery pots and I don't know what kind of soil or soil mix to be using to transplant them into.

My objective is to grow them on in pots until more mature. Similar in size to what you might buy in a nursery for planting. If I understand correctly it would be time to introduce them to something more nutritious then the peat based "soiless mixture" they were sown in.

Can anyone advise me on this next step. It is necessary for me to transplant into pots as a form of "holding" the plants because the planting areas are non-existent at this time.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (4)

• sharont
    15 years ago

I'd continue to use ProMix BX or ProMix (or similar) seedling transplant mix. (Home Depot has a bale of growing soiless mix also.) Seedlings will get enough nutrients from these mixes until you get them into your regular garden soil.
    I grow Clematis, shrubs, trees plus veggies, perennials and annuals in these mixes. But if you want to add some of your soil in with the ProMix (or other brands) by all means. By experimenting you'll find your favourite growing medium. You will be able to grow on for another year providing they are watered frequently and put into a holding area of sand let's say several inches deep.
    If you are just growing them until June 1st then the Soiless Mix is still fine.

• kanuk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sharont~ Perfect timing. I'm chomping at the bit to get started transplanting today and I'm just getting ready to head to town.
    Your advice is invaluable and I'm grateful.
    Thank You.
    Have a great day & happy gardening.

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Hi Kanuk:
    I remember asking this question when I was first starting but I don't remember what the answer was. Anyway, I do not transplant anything into larger pots, unless I don't have room for them. While in their containers, I occasionally use a very weak solution of 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer to hold them over but I transplant directly into the soil. They are so small, you think they won't survive but it's amazing how strong they are. If I do transplant, I use a mixture of potting soil and triple mix. I also use that for 'volunteers' which are in the wrong place and which I want to keep. Happy Planting!!

• kanuk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

northerner_on
    Thanks for sharing. Yes. Some of my seedlings are going straight into their places but I know for sure others are going to be waiting awhile before their rightful places are well prepared. Instead of causing them undo stress by keeping them crowded & in too little soil I'm going to transplant them into larger pots until then. This should help to lessen their pots from drying out as quickly and give them more room to grow on... until .. (cough)...I'm ready!! lol
    I am overwhelmed by the success of germination. I stumbled upon WS this winter and I hadn't prepared any planting sites previously. Nothing! Nada! I didn't even remotely consider "planting seeds" especially during the winter!! My previous experience with growing seeds was enough to never want to do it again. (Totally unsuccessful) Not anymore!!!
    So I have my work cut out for me to prepare beds etc. This is a new rural property that has never been gardened on before ... so I don't even have any open ground to call a 'holding bed'. So transplanting to larger pots will take the place for holding beds for the time being.
    Off I go...dig and ...dig some more!!
    Happy Gardening to you too.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting