Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will they be ok?

Posted by homemommy 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 8:40

In the Greater Toronto Area, we had some really nice weather over the last few weeks. I had Blanket Flower, Forget Me Nots and Lupins sprout from their winter sown containers. Now, we are back in the minus's, and under an inch or two of snow! Are they going to be ok or should I bring them in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will they be ok?

Never bring them in. :) This is only my second year, but last year I did throw a blanket over some of the sprouts when the temps really dropped to way below freezing and we had snow. I just used an old wool blanket that I had kicking around the house and kept it folded up and sitting on the BBQ (under the patio roof) ready to use anytime that I needed it. I have several sprouted containers out there right now and we have had below freezing on a few nights. I am not far from you and am probably getting similar weather, but this year so far, I haven't covered them. I haven't removed the top of the container yet either....just because I was expecting this sort of thing. :)...last year I only covered the ones that had their container tops removed already.
try not to worry.....survival of the fittest and all that!
gg

o
RE: Will they be ok?

Well, I got nervous waiting for a reply and "rescued" them. OOps. Only the ones that sprouted, I left all those that had not germinated yet outside.

I'll get them back out tommorow, the temp is coming up anyway, so it should not be a shock to them, also the back room they are in is not as warm as the rest of the house ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here