Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_in_nova_scotia

any sprouts in zone 5?

sue_in_nova_scotia
17 years ago

I am in zone 5 and nary a sprout!!! Please tell me it is this freaky weather...last year I had sprouts in March!

Comments (13)

• ve_e

haven't seen anything happening in my containers as of yet ... of course we had snow a week ago and summer now so who can tell what's going to happen? Should I be opening them up or still keeping them covered?

• ve_e

haven't seen anything happening in my containers as of yet ... of course we had snow a week ago and summer now so who can tell what's going to happen? Should I be opening them up or still keeping them covered?

• ve_e

• cziga
    17 years ago

I only have tiny little sprouts of candytuft and sweet william sooty. Everything else is taking its own sweet time. I'm blaming it on the weather so far, but now that it looks like Spring is finally here, maybe everything else will start popping up!

I even WSed some Hollyhocks and those are hard to mess up, so I think it must be the weather.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Sue,

Just wait. This weekend will start bringing them on. I do have 3 containers which started sprouting a week or so ago, but nothing major. Haven't looked since Sunday with that horrid weather we got.

Things are later to sprout this year no doubt. I think it's the latest I've seen it in five years.

This weekend should do it with some of the nice sunshine we're getting. Watch out for Monday though. Environment Canada is calling for 18C. If it's cloudy, not to worry, but if the sun comes out the inside of those containers can basically double and cook whatever is in there. I will be making sure mine are in am sun, with dappled shade the rest of the day from noon on since I won't be home to babysit them.

Let us know how things go this weekend!

• threedognite
    17 years ago

Hi Northern Winter Sowers,

Darn!! I'm in zone 6b and I don't have any sprouts. I'm thinking it's because it's still pretty cold here. Only gets up to the mid 40's F during the day and mid to high 30's at night. Also, it has been overcast for days and our 10 day forecast is for rain. :-( I think when the sun comes out and starts to warm things up, I'm bound to get some sprouts!!!
    Right?? I'm trying really hard to have faith!!

pam

• kniceone
    17 years ago

I have sprouts! Yipee!!!! Been checking every day and low and behold on Sat - 3 boxes had sprouts. I'm so happy!!

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maybe watched sprouts never sprout...like a kettle...I will give them a day or two to get a move on....I promise not to peek..I promise not to peek...I promise not to peek for the rest of the day :)

• cziga
    17 years ago

I have a couple more now, several poppies and a Cornflower mix.

I'm really waiting for the Scabiosa to come up, I WS'ed about 8 different varieties that I have been eyeing for several years and I really want them to get going :)

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pheeewww...checked today and 7 sprouted containers....all annuals but hey what the heck ...their plants!!! My friend down the road doesn't have any yet but maybe she didn't do annuals so maybe thats why...ok...so I put everything about a solid month behind...last year chinese asters and poppys started arround March 21st...

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

Hi everyone: I have been 'absent' from the forum for some time. My son-in-law 'killed' my computer while trying to fix a small problem and then we had to get the taxes done with a broken PC. We didn't get finished until yesterday!! Luckily, we don't owe anything. But I have been waitng for sprouts for such a long time. I really over did things this year - over 75 pop bottles sown. Most of them have sprouted - sweet william, dianthus, California poppies, larkspur, nasturtiums, blue flax, several varieties of swamp weed and milk weed and maltese cross, cleome,asters, stachys, cerastium, hollyhocks, salvia, petunia, caliopsis, four o'clocks, nigella, euphorbia, several foxgloves,etc. The roses I sowed at the winter solstice have not sprouted, but my big disappointments are NO astilbe and NO columbines have sprouted. Are these particularly difficult? This is my first time using pop bottles,and I find I had to do a lot of watering the last few weeks. It has been relatively warm and windy here so I am doing lots of weeding getting new beds prepared. My 'indoor' sowing was hit by something (a little white scaly thing), and I lost most of my tomatoes, but I have replanted and they are taking forever because my warm spot (my furnace vent) is no longer operating. My peppers are doing well. So it's not that bad. Don't know where I'll put all these plants but I'm sure some of my neighbours will be happy to give them homes. We finally got a digital camera for our trip to China in January, so I'll be able to post some pics. when I recover what we lost from the PC!!

• cziga
    16 years ago

Only one of my columbines have sprouted so far, but they seem to take a really long time. I'm not worried about the other yet, I'll give them some more time to get with the program (as I sowed them later).

I was disappointed, I got no Scabiosa and very few of the Hollyhocks came up properly. Not sure what went wrong there, but probably some sort of newbie mistake :)

• sprout_canada
    16 years ago

Finally see some sprouts here in 5a in Ontario! Very much later than expected.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz