Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Almost Canadian

Posted by pufftrinket 5MI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 9:54

Hi-
I'm in Central Michigan- well, central LOWER PENINSULA Michigan.

I've enjoyed reading this forum because the climate seems similar to mine. I get jealous reading about all the USDA Zone 7 planting-out! Hee hee.

Just thought I'd let you know I have 38 containers. Most are the tin-foil cake pan variety, although a few are Jiffy flats. This is my first year wintersowing.

I'm very interested in natives and butterflies, so most of what I sow is of the wildflower variety. Many of my seeds are self-collected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Almost Canadian

Hi Pufftrinket, welcome we don't mine if your not Canadian, I have 33 containers, didn't really want to mention before but I don't use the conventional 2 litre pop bottles either, I sowed mine in 6 or 8' pots and slipped them individually into a ziploc bag, like I do indoors. I figure if I keep a good eye on em, when they sprout I'll take em out of the bags and I'm done (until transplanting). I like the idea of no hardening off, God know's greedy little me will have my work cut out for me when I have to start bringing the 300 or so plants I have growing inside, outside. Oh the joys of hardening off, with that many sometimes as I finally get em all out, the first ones start to pout and wilt, back in they go. Seems for those couple of weeks I am regretting being so greedy with the seed sowing. And then next year I do it again, Janet

o

Hi and welcome. yes in MI you would have pretty similar climate. I too grow a lot of natives and wildflowers. Southern Ontario would share quite a few similar species with southern MI. Have you grown any milkweeds for the butterflies? I'm growing 1 native variety and one non-native. Tuberosa (native) and Curassavica (non-native, tropical).

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

o

Welcome to the CWS forum!

o

Hi-

Yes, I have a few packets of A tuberosa- I just got them today. Planning to put them out tomorrow or next weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here