Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Winter Sowing but 55 containers

Posted by Hailey99 5B (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 10:24

HI, All!! I think I have made newbie mistakes!!
I work in an operating room and have found the perfect (free and happy to be re used) sterile water bottles, as well as some joint replacement plastic boxes that just screamed “I am perfect mini greenhouses” I saved (and friends saved) bottles by the dozens.. Now I have sown some different things, lettuce, peppers, Chinese lanterns seeds…..cosmos, poppies …perennial bulbs…. But I cannot find that many resources for things like hibiscus and clematis seeds, I have tons of common seeds but I live in Ontario and not sure where to get others…Also I usually buy Tomato and pepper plants because of our shorter growing season….I also started some of these plants inside …can I transplant the cucumber plants and the tomato plants to my winter sowing containers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Winter Sowing but 55 containers

Hi Hailey99, welcome to winter sowing. :-)
you too have plunged in full speed.
I start my tomatoes and peppers inside....tomatoes will wintersow, but they produce very late....unless you have early producers. Once something has been started inside, they can only be planted out when the weather has warmed enough to plant them in the garden.

I have some different hardy hibiscus seeds if you are interested....email me and send me your address privately and I will send you some.

o

Thank you for your reply!!
I will keep my tomatoes inside until May!!
Thanks for saving my plants!!

o

Greylady, what's in the bottles?

This is my first time on this particular forum. By Winter Sowing, do you mean starting plants indoors, or by sowing the crop outside in late fall for early spring germination?

Careful with the Chinese Lanterns unless you want them ALLLLL over the place. Took me five years to eradicate them. The roots easily travel 10' + in a year.

Cleamtis seeds are often available on Seedy Saturday and sometimes local Hort society members can provide you with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

o

Hello, 'LivelyDirt' glad you stopped by.
The bottles in the snow belong to the original poster. Maybe she will stop by and let us know what she has planted. :-)

below is a link that will let you know what we are all about. We use containers as mini greenhouses and put our seeds out in the middle of winter (depending on what seeds they are)--perennials, trees etc. go out early--usually in December, then perennials, and hardy annuals. When the weather starts to change in the spring, like now, the tender annuals go out. If you go and take a look at the winterswon.org. site, it explains far better than I can. :-)
I truly love this method! :-) it does the job for me. I would love a greenhouse but funds and space have prevented that from happening.

I hope you enjoy your tour of the site and join in!

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersowing info

o

Thanks for the tip where to get more seeds,!!!
The list I planted is mentioned in the first post, just veggies,as well as some mallow seeds, meadow rue, and black eyed Susan's

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here