Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
welham_gw

Newbie has first sprouts!

welham
17 years ago

This is my first year winter sowing and yesterday I noticed that my Malva in a 2L coke bottle had already sprouted. We're still having below zero temp here in Montreal! I'm so excited :-)

Comments (7)

• sandyteach
    17 years ago

Congratulations!!!

I also am a newbie and there is nothing like seeing your first sprouts. About 40 of my 200 containers have sprouted. Its like popcorn, first a couple, then some more, than, pop, pop, pop. Let's hope they survive the crazy weather. I nursed mine inside over the coldest spell, and now they are outside soaking in the sun, and the coming rain forecast for today. Go sprouts!!

• threedognite
    17 years ago

Hooray for you and your sprouts !!
    This is my first season to WS, too.
    I'm not Canadian, but my climate is more in line with yours than the lower 48. In March I would read the USA WS forum and everyone was getting sprouts everywhere. I started feeling like I was doing something wrong. After all, according to USDA I'm in zone 6b. It doesn't sound right to me but I think I'll start experimenting with plants hardy in 6b and see what happens. I don't have any sprouts yet. We just started getting above freezing temps a few days ago. So I'm thinking another week of rising temps should show some results. The snow finally melted enough for me to get into my greenhouse, I may try starting some seeds in there, too. I am SO ready for spring! It was great to just sit in the GH and look at all the things I wintered over. They did pretty good.
    May your Winter Sown seeds sprout abundantly :-)

pam- your northern neighbor

• cynqueen
    17 years ago

Wow congrats!!! You give me hope, being so close (I am on the south shore) even though I still have no sprouts.

Of course, with the 4 inches of snow on the ground right now, I don't expect to see anything in the next few days :(

Cynthia

P.S. If April showers bring May flowers, what the heck do April blizzards bring???

• welham
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't believe the snow either! I hope my sprouts will be okay.

So far only the Malva has sprouted out of my 25 or so containers - I guess it doesn't mind the cold as much??!

Lakshmi

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Congratulations Lakshmi!! The first one is always a joy and a bit of a relief to see, eh??!! :O) Malvas are beautiful, and they are tough cookies! At times they remain green in my gardens throughout the winter.

I also got my first sprouts this past week. Don't quite know what day. I only checked on Thursday and found Alyssum and Rainbow Toadflax peeking up. Still a get a great sense of personal satisfaction after five years of this wonderful ritual.

Pam,
    I know what you mean about others in the same zone and even lower zones reporting sprouts way before us. I have been looking at when Drippy from the main forum sprouts and every year, like clockwork, I am behind her by 3 weeks. I use her sprout announcement as a warning bell of sorts. :)

Doing pretty good in Hamilton there Sandy!!! Go girl! 40 containers... That's good!

• i_heart_flowers
    17 years ago

IT WORKED!!!!!!!

It really works! Had a look yesterday when I came home from work...and there they were! Lupins and Dusty Miller!

Yes!!

• xtreme_gardener
    17 years ago

Me too, me too! Zone 1, the (almost)ultimate test! I almost can't believe it worked...neighbor stopped by today and saw and I think she thinks I'm a little wierd..oh well.

Creeping thyme, lettuce, Kochia, Clarkia and Coreopsis as of a few days ago! :^)

Sponsored