Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

Sprouts! Sprouts in Oakville!

wendy2shoes
16 years ago

Seems all they needed was to be dug out of the snow up by the house, and elevated, plus one good day of sunshine. Bachelor Buttons (I don't really like them, but I like to see them sprout), and yellow lupines from seed I collected from a store bought plant. Yeah!

Now I'm busy running around putting old freezer baskets from the re-use centre over my tulips, protecting them from the *&$#@ rabbits!

Soon I'll have to be protecting new seedlings from the squirrels!

Roll on Spring!

Comments (11)

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

LOL! Wendy, I must have been typing as you were posting! I have bachelor buttons too! YAY!! I planted them on March 14.

• kanuk
    16 years ago

Congratulations Wendy!! I'm sure glad I didn't send you those Batchelor Buttons seeds!! lol (psst. I'm not crazy about them either!!)
    This morning I woke up and was able to see "all" of my containers due to the recent snow melt. OMG!! I'm freaking out and having heart palpitations envisioning the upcoming sprout fest... followed shortly thereafter by the...."manic" Hunk'O Sprouts marathon.
    Then I see your Sprout post and ... well....!!!! I need a drink!!
    BTW...our Raccoons returned after their hybernation. They came to the windows and tapped on the glass to announce their return.
    Keep us posted on your sprouts!!

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

Congratulations ladies! Hopefully soon I will get some sprouts too. I dug them out a few weeks ago and I'm checking them out for sprouts everyday since. Well, nothing yet, but the weather is so encouraging now, Monday is supposed to be 10*C.

Wendy, I have those ageratum seeds from you, thank you very much, and I tried a few inside, but not much success with them. When do you W/S yours? I must have them and I want to be sure I will do it at the right time.

• wendy2shoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I usually wintersow..(springsow?) the ageratum towards the middle/end of April. You can probably direct sow them as well once you're above freezing at night. I've had them self seed too.

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

Thanks Wendy, I'll W/S them at the end of April. It seems that a few done indoor will make it too; they are at the first true leaves now.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Congrats!! Another crazy gardening year starting for you.

Nothing here really yet. I can see the radicles going into the soil from the Bachelor Buttons and the Alyssums, but no green yet. Might see some on the weekend as things will be warming up.

Well done!

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

Sprouts here in zone 4a, hehehehehe. I'm jumping up and down. It's working!
    Cheiranthus allionii (Siberian wallflower) is the winner.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Mariana,

That Siberian Wallflower is great!! The color is such a flourescent orange it nearly glows. On a cloudy day it POPS like you wouldn`t believe!

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

Love the orange of the siberian wallflower!! Had some years ago and had it planted with some meadow sage. The bright orange and the rich purple were a stunning combo that I plan to try again.
    gg

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

Hello Wendy,

Nice to hear that things are sprouting for you already! In southern Ontario here, my tulips, hyacinths and other bulbs have started popping out of the ground.

My indoors plants and flowers are doing well also, including purple millet that you sent me, and the Amaranth

{{gwi:541178}}

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

Yes Tiffy, I believe it's a nice flower. My mother sent the seeds to me, and she said it was my grandmother preferred flower. She always use to have it at the window over the winter and was flowering all winter long. I cannot remember....but how can I remember that, when I cannot remember where I placed the containers in the garden 2 months ago....Yesterday, knocking down the huge pails of snow in the garden I found 17 more containers buried in the snow.

Louis, I think I still have some seeds leftover. If you are interested I can send you some.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County