Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worth the Wait

Posted by northerner_on z4 ONCanada (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 0:30

I complained last week that I had several 'no-shows' but we have had a week of very warm weather and almost everything came through. The only no-shows now are the Astilbe and I am still hoping for them, and the Canna which are consistently late. There were some of which I had only one seedling, and now others are popping up. I am so excited. Even my Euphorbia which I have tried to direct sow like my neighbour who gave me the seeds for two years, were successful when WS'd. Who'd have thunk it!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worth the Wait

Thats Great, Northerner!
I'm also finding that a good dose of heat and sun is helping with the sprouting. I had a few more 'stubborns' pop up with about three days of decent warmth. I didn't label well enough though, so I'm not sure what some of them are. For the last three weeks we've had so much wind that even though the sun is out it's still quite cool, but all it took was a few days.

I WS'd some Euphorbia (kilamanjaro) in April and it really pulled through on those warm days. Its cool and rainy (aaak s***y, too) so I'm hoping one more warm spell after this will bring the Rudbeckias and Trollius (fingers crossed).

o
RE: Worth the Wait

Cannas and tropicals are not good candidates for our zone. I'd sow those ones indoors.

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here