Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Let's see some WS'd photos, shall we?

Crazy_Gardener
16 years ago

{{gwi:541229}}
Centaurea montana - ws'd a year ago.

{{gwi:541230}}
Cheiranthus cheiri Siberian Wallflower & Lychnis flos-cuculi Ragged Robin - ws'd last year too.

{{gwi:541231}}
Iberis sempervirens 'Snowflake' - ws'd last year as well.

{{gwi:541232}}
Lupinus sericeus Silvery Lupine - ws'd in 2005, first time blooming.

Let's see some of yours too.

Sharon

Comments (17)

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

Not much blooming yet, but here goes...foxgloves,

{{gwi:541233}}

centaurea macrocephala about to get rockin'

{{gwi:541234}}

dwarf sweet william

{{gwi:541235}}

and sea holly getting ready (I wish I'd known they got to be 4 feet tall!)
    {{gwi:541236}}

• zwoddle
    16 years ago

I didn't do any winter sowing this year but your flowers are beautiful. What is the orange colored flower and is a perennial? I just love that one.

Val

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Val, the orange flowers are called Cheiranthus cheiri. They are not perennials, but rather biennial.

The trick to getting wallflowers to grow as perennials instead of hardy biennials is to stop them going to seed in the second year. Remove seed heads and shear back for a bushy plant, which will bloom again.

I'm going to leave a few go to seed so that I can collect them just incase they don't make it.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:541237}}
    Lupines

{{gwi:541238}}
    Papaver orientale Oriental Poppy - glad it turned out a scarlet red.

{{gwi:541239}}
    EPILOBIUM angustifolium Fireweed

{{gwi:541240}}
    Echium rubrum

Happy Canada Day weekend!
    Sharon

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

I think I mistakenly posted these on the mother site. I'll re-post them here. These are some of my first WS blooms.
    I love white flowers. Here are my white petunias WS2006 - seed from a flat I bought last summer:
    {{gwi:341162}}
    WS2005 - Lychnis - Rose Campion
    {{gwi:341163}}
    WS2005 - Harebell - seeds bought in Alaska
    {{gwi:341164}}
    WS2006 Surprise - Viola (was labelled Geum Mix)
    {{gwi:341165}}
    My first Poppy - no ID so far
    {{gwi:341167}}
    WS2006 Petunia - I call this one" you don't have to be big and bold to be beautiful"
    {{gwi:341166}}

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

The Evening Scented Stocks you can barely see were winter sown and I don't remember if these nastursiums were or not. I think they were. Not blooming yet, but they sure like that container, the leaves are getting nice and big.
    {{gwi:541242}}

• newbi
    16 years ago

Everyone's flowers are beautiful! SHARON!!! YOU ARE A ZONE 2!! I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR GARDEN!!! That should be illegal. I am zone 5/6 and don't have anything close to that. I'd love to see a couple of pictures providing an overview of your gardens... pretty please!!

Lisa

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toots, I'm like you, I just love old antique stuff in the garden. In my tin watering can I have Brachycome growing in it.

Well, thank you Lisa. Yes I do garden in zone 2b, our winters can be very harsh and our summers very hot like it is today!

You'd be suprised what us cold zoners can grow this far north. Check out the Far North Forum gallery and you're welcome to visit the tons of garden photos at my photobucket link below.

I said I was going to cut down on wintersowing for next year. Geez, that has changed, I've already got a mile list of seeds I want to try next year. This madness never ends, I tell yah! ;)

{{gwi:541244}}
    Dimorphotheca aurantiaca Spring Flash Orange African Daisy
    Seed is easy to collect and easy to wintersow. I just love orange in the garden ;)

Keep those photos coming!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: crazy_gardener's Garden Photos

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Sharon, You can't beat old tin or enamel. I love it and its cheap or free!

The tall white frothy flowers are Ammi 'Snowflake'
    {{gwi:541246}}
    Sweet Peas 'Knee Hi Mix' I didn't have the greatest germination rates with these, but I was very happy with the ones that did grow.
    {{gwi:541247}}
    {{gwi:541249}}
    Violas
    {{gwi:541251}}

{{gwi:541252}}
    Mixed Nasturtiums {{gwi:541253}}
    Orange Gem Marigolds
    {{gwi:541254}}
    Peony Poppy
    {{gwi:541255}}
    Now, if I can just catch the pink and yellow California poppies when they're open...Toots :)

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

Things are winding down now, but here's my border bed in September.
    {{gwi:361821}}
    Everything wintersown except the sweet potato vines.

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Georgeous, Wendy!! I just love your Morning Glories!

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Champagne and Roses California Poppies...Love these! Some are single and some are double.
    {{gwi:541256}}
    Creeping Thyme
    {{gwi:541257}}

Come on you guys I know there must be lots of WS'd stuff that hve bloomed by now!

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

Lovely morning glories. I eventually got the Heavenly Blue to bloom on my front light post. I always considered MG's to be sort-of wild ordinary flowers, so I can't believe I am so blown away by these flowers - they are just beautiful. BTW I am getting my WS photos together but will start a new post - this one takes too long for my computer to post.
    Northerner.

• jamjam
    16 years ago

Crazy gardner,
    Do you have an online seed source for the African daisy? Its freakin' gorgeous!! :)

• gladzoe
    16 years ago

Gorgeous flowers everyone. Sharon, are those a special type of Lupine? The catalogue's say they were only hardy to zone 4 so thought they wouldn't grow in Manitoba.

• artsygirl89
    16 years ago

wendy2shoes, what are the blue flowers in your picture? They are just gorgeous!

We just started our garden last spring, so this spring will be one full year...still a newbie! (your entire garden is amazing..I'm in southern ontario too, I'm so jealous just droolin here!)

• dahlitsa
    16 years ago

Wow what an inspiration to look at all these pic. Just got some seed for African Daisy and didn't know what it looked like. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm