Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (11)

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! great job. Looks like you had great success. Please let us see how it looks when they are flowering.
    gg

• kanuk
    15 years ago

It looks like someone's been busy planting!! I'm so glad you posted these pictures. This is my first time winter sowing and it's nice to see that the development of your seedlings is comparable to mine. Mine just have to see terra firma yet ... that's all.
    It's still amazing to me that some of these babies are going to actually be producing flowers this year.
    You've inspired me to start planting ... thanks!!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Wowsers! OK, after you are finished, can you come over and play in my gardens? :O) I was so busy with a plant sale this year that I'm just starting now.

Be sure to post some pistures when all is full! I'd love to see it.

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

You started early and did a great job. You will have a marvellous show of colour throught the summer. I just started planting out this week and was out until 9 p.m. tonight getting all my veggies in, as we expect rain for the next 3 days. I was waiting until the slugs were under a bit more control - they have been doing a number on my lettuce and even attacked some of my containers. Will be a rough summer keeping ahead of them. I am trying ammonia this year.

• mariana2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I apologize I haven't reply to all of you earlier. Now I can show you how those little things evolved in the last month.
    Gazania
    {{gwi:541390}}
    African Daisy
    {{gwi:541394}}
    Giant Imperial Stokes, they sure are not giant but have little flowers.
    {{gwi:541397}}
    Sunflower with double head
    {{gwi:541400}}
    Baby Breath. This is the only place it took of where it gets more sun, all other places I planted it went dead.
    {{gwi:541404}}
    Poppies. I planted at least three different kind of poppies but all came like this.
    {{gwi:541407}}
    Candyturft planted in a shade spot most of the time, just to experiment if it's possible to replace that ground cover with candyturft, bur I guess not, it's too shady for it.
    {{gwi:541409}}
    Marigold, not considered W/Sed since lots of cold nights they spent inside when babies. From all marigolds I have I like this one the most.
    {{gwi:541411}}
    Annual Phlox
    {{gwi:541414}}
    Zinnias, the only ones that survived the slugs. They are very small flowers but pretty.
    {{gwi:541418}}
    Straw flowers
    {{gwi:541420}}
    Painted Daisy
    {{gwi:541422}}
    All my flower beds have spots like this with very, very small perennials like delphiniums, columbines, astilbes, wallflowers, lichinis, dianthus, foxgloves....
    {{gwi:541424}}
    or like this, where I keep planting and nothing is happening
    As you can see the battle with slags continue full force with beer and egg shells. Here is delphinium, ageratum, nasturtium, and first year spotted oriental lilies in a agonizing state. But wait,..... I'm not complaining..... It's just an experimental spot, I'll fix it with more digging and compost in fall.
    {{gwi:541426}}
    Pictures from the garden
    {{gwi:541429}}
    {{gwi:541432}}
    {{gwi:541433}}
    {{gwi:541436}}
    {{gwi:541438}}
    {{gwi:541441}}
    {{gwi:541443}}

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

You did a great job. What a lovely display of colour you have created. You have the right idea - don't give up , there's always next year. I am also having a battle with the slugs and right now, because of all the rain, they seem to be winning.

• mariana2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks northerner, I consider my first year W/Sing quite a success, and definitely the plants grown inside helped a lot too.
    The petunias, gazanias, nicotianas, cleome and so many others were sown twice inside and outside, and planted out in the gardens, testing at least 2-3 spots, dappled shade, sun or shade, just to get an idea where it will be the best for each one in future. The easier gardens are in the front where they get sun and air/wind, and the difficult ones are in the backyard that gets a little sun, dappled shade or deep shade.

Any luck with your Crocosmia? Those little seedlings in my container turned out to be just grass.

Happy gardening to all of you!

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Marianna2007: I just started growing gazanias this year. I started them inside. Did you winter sow yours? I thought I would try that. When did you start yours? They're beautiful. Mine are just starting to bud up now. I bought 'Lemon Kiss' and am waiting for them to flower. Marg

• mariana2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marg, gazanias were the only one I did not winter-sow them, started them inside on March 04, started to bloom July 07. What I noticed it's a matter of how much sun they get, the ones planted in the back garden just now a few started to bloom, some are still growing their leaves with no buds at all. Next year I will try W/Sing them on first week of April and put them in a sunny spot only. I hope the blooming time will be very close as this year.
    All other flowers done one batch inside and one batch W/Sing planted half of each batch in sun in front of the house, or half shade or shade in the back garden where doing different: those planted in sun were way ahead of those in the back garden and it didn't matter how I started them inside or outside.

Conclusion: next year I will winter sow almost everything except petunias, blooming time petunias indoor June 05, winter-sowing July 15

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Good morning mariana2007. Thanks for the response. I'm going to try to collect some seeds and winter sow some and plant some indoors too. I will have to start mine earlier indoors though. Maybe I'll order the 'Kontiki' mix for next spring. Is that what you have? My gazania opened yesterday, beautiful lemon yellow. I didn't realize that they closed at night though. The timing was great because we had a picnic going on and everyone remarked about them. Thanks again. Marg

• mariana2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Marg, I don't know the name of gazanias, I got them from SASBE from a very, very generous lady. They were labeled yellow, purple and orange gazania. As you can see actually they are: pale yellow, strong yellow, orange, those two-tone yellow & rust, purple & pink. I love them all. I'm afraid to deadhead them so just to be sure I'll get seeds. If you want I can send you some seeds as soon as I get them.
    Mariana

Sponsored