Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

trumpet vine

marricgardens
17 years ago

I have never winter sowed seeds before but I would like to try with the trumpet vine. I have had one for 15 years but it never flowered until this summer, wouldn't you know it, just before we are to move. I should be able to get some seeds and winter sow them. Has anyone ever done this? What do the seed pods look like when they are ready? Thanks for any advice. Marric

Comments (6)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Marric,

I successfully winter sowed seeds of the Trumpet Vine last year, but the plants didn't do well for me and all passed away. I will be trying again in the future - just have to figure out another spot.

So, in essence, it's one you can do.

As per where the seeds are, I would look for developement of them at the base of the flowers. I bought my seeds so have no idea how they develope. Hopefully someone will provide an answer.

Oh, and a little trick to make a vine which can take fertilizer flower - tomatoe plant food. My mom told me that one and it does work! It jolted one of my Clematis into action last year!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tip tiffy. I'll be sure to try it on my clematis next year. I'm going to try to winter sow whatever seeds I get. I'm hoping to get at least 8 seeds. It's my first time so I don't know how successful I'll be. Marg

• jemdandy
    17 years ago

Be careful of what you wish for. When I was kid growing up on a farm in southern Illinois, trumpet vines were considered a pest! We let them grow in fence rows and margins of woods along creeks, but these were still pests. Once established, they are almost impossible to erradicate without total chemical kill. They propagate from a network of runner roots about 2 to 3 inches below the surface. New shoots pop up everwhere from 1 to 10 feet from the parent plant. We had some on a garden fence that required due dillignece all season cutting out new shoots as these invaded the garden. It's a very invasive plant, but the humming birds love the blossoms.

• signet_gw(6b)
    17 years ago

Marric ,

Are you looking for the reddish orange trumpet vine seeds? If you are , I have tons..if you would like some , let me know

signet

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Marric,

I have an apology to make. I believe the trumpet vine you were refering to is not the one I was thinking of when I read your post. I was thinking of the Cardinal creeper/vine, but I believe what you are refering to is Campsis Radicans which has much bigger and gorgeous flowers. No wonder you want more of the plant!!

I spotted one in Halifax growing over a fence and had to ask the lady what it was, and that's how I recognized my mistake. Trying to get seeds from her plant, but they are not maturing quickly. The seeds are found in the llong thin piece inside which mature inside the flower.

Sorry for the mistake.

• kathysabbie
    17 years ago

Hi I'm new so bear with me please. I did not know that trumpet vines put out seed pods untill about 3 weeks ago. now I have 6 of them, and I don't know if the seeds need to be put in the frige. for awhile before I try to grow them. Or really just how to go about starting them. I have over 80 acers and would really like for something to take over most of the land. So if any one has any thoughts on what the best way is to start them I would be forever greatful. Thanks Kathysabbie