Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil / soil mix

Posted by cbergunde z3a - Alberta (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 13:21

What type of soil or soil mix do you successful ws'ers use?

The year that I did ws, I used a potting mix (I *think* Miracle Grow?? - that was 2 years ago - can't remember) and am wondering if that is why I had such little success?

-Colleen
(I'm in Alberta - zone 3a, if that makes any difference in which soil to use?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden 2006

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil / soil mix

Colleen, I've never used MG myself, because I go through so much of the stuff that I buy the huge 3.8 cu.ft. compressed bales. Either Sunshine #4 or Promix BX.

I also use it for my indoor sowings and cuttings as well.
Both are very good mediums.

Sharon

o

I have never seen the big bales of soil Sharon... where do you purchase them?

Kristine

o

I just saw bails at Home Depot, right now, of ProMix BX. They are in black plastic. I commented to my husband that I should pick up a couple because I seem to have a tough time finding it in January when I want it.

BTW, I mix mine in a roughtote bin and usually add a brick of cocoanut coir, and sometimes some earthworm castings. This year, I also put in some water retaining crystals. But, that's just me. I don't think that my success is as good as other people's so I may change things up a bit next year.

Shauna

o

Kristine, I buy mine from nurseries, one in Saskatoon and one nursery in Lloydminister. Too far for you to drive, but I'm sure if you phone around, someone surely would sell them in Ontario.

I also saw bales of Sunshine mix at Walmart if the helps.

Sharon

o

Ahhh maybe that's my problem, I'm looking for the bales in the winter! I'll check out HD & Walmart now and see what they have.

Kristine

o

I usually buy Promix BX from Revy and have also found it at Peavey Mart.

Susan

o

I used ProMix seed starter soil -- 85L bags at Canadian Tire and Revy.

o

Yep, another ProMix user here. I found compressed bales at a nursery a bit after Christmas when I first started wsing, but now buy at the end of the gardening season. The nursery closes for the winter and that would put me in trouble. Especially since I like the stuff.

o

Thanks All - I'll be heading to HD in the next couple of days :)

-Colleen

o

Apparently Promix now sells a new product called MYCRORISE® PRO, I'm going to pick up a bale next time I'm in Saskatoon and see how it does compared to the regular BX.

You can read about it here at their website.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: MYCRORISE® PRO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here