Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbycat55

Cut flowers for winter sowing?

tabbycat55
17 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to Gardenweb forums and winter sowing...this will be my first attempt this winter and I'm really looking forward to it. Imagine! Looking forward to winter...

One thing I've learned already, it's a good idea to read the posts before posting anything mysef. Two questions of mine have already been touched on....soil and containers. Thanks can_grow for the Costco salad container suggestion! And I'll be looking for the seed and soil to go on sale soon.....thanks for that tip too.

I love to grow flowers for cutting and I'd like to have some recommendations for seed.....easy and reliable would be nice for a beginner like me. I usually start my Cosmos indoors under light....I would like to w/s Chocolate Cosmos? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Hi Tabbycat, welcome to WS'ing and to the GW forums!

There are sooooooow many choices available but some easy to WS ones that come to mind right now are, Sweet Peas, Sunflowers, Zinnias, Calendula, Asters, Delphiniums, Goldenrod, Lupins, Foxgloves, Yarrow, Statice, Shasta Daisy and Baby's Breath.

I'm sure others will chime in too ;)

Best of luck on your upcoming first year Winter Sowing!

Sharon
    (who is not quite anxious for winter just yet ;)

• cangrow
    17 years ago

I'll second Sharon's suggestions. And rather than wishing winter earlier, you could sow the Shasta Daisies now for fall planting and earlier blooms next season.

I WSd Cosmos and they're doing well.

My favourite WS cut flower is carnations (Dianthus, Chaubaud mix). I'd never grown them before and didn't realize they're a perennial.

This was my first winter, and I didn't find out about WSing until it was too late for soil sales and collecting containers (I had to beg friends not to recycle.)

The other container I liked is 4L milk jugs. I saw a suggestion for leaving about a 5" deep bottom, cutting the entire top off (rather than leaving a hinge) and putting the top back on by sliding it inside the bottom section -- no tape required. I'm going to try that this fall.

For things that don't like their roots disturbed, I used newspaper pots with no bottoms.
    - roll a 4" strip of newspaper into a tube similar to a toilet roll and add a tiny piece of tape.
    - Wedge these (or just use empty toilet rolls) in side-by-side in the bottom of a milk jug and fill with soil. The pots don't need a bottom as they're sitting inside a jug.
    - Use the top of the milk jug as a funnel to get the soil into the tube,
    - 'stir' the soil with chopstick to get it into the bottom of the tube.

When you plant out, bury the entire pot, just like a peat pot.

I hope your sowing goes well. Try some summer sowing to get warmed up!

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

Hi tabbycat55:
    When I think of an Ontario garden I expect to see at least a Rudbeckia (dark-eyed Susan), an Echinacea (cone-flower), and a Shasta Daisy. They are not fancy, just good old cottage-garden staples, which are hardy (and I think native), easily WSed and produce great flowers for cutting. They are also long lasting. There were two new Echinacea introductions this year from Garden Import: a bright red (Sunset) and a soft yellow (Sunrise) that would make nice cut flowers. I'll be trying to find out when seeds for them will be available.
    Northerner.
    P.S. I just have a soft spot for any flower that looks like a daisy. N.

• tabbycat55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So much great information, I need to print out the posts for handy reference, don't want to forget any of it.

I love all the suggestions in your post Sharon. So much choice....the tough part will be trying to put sensible limits on it! Hah!

Northener....I do love my purple coneflower. Started growing it on balcony several years ago and have trucked it along with me on three moves. It's grown tremendously this year, as it's the first summer I haven't dug it up and moved it! Must remember to look for more varieties in Garden Import...their catalougue is absolutely gorgeous eh?

And can_grow, your suggestion for containers sounds like a really good method, especially the newspaper rolls. I usually start seed under lights with peat pots, so I get the idea....neat! and cheaper!

Well, I'll be at Walmart today, picking out beginner seeds. Thanks all! Wendy

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Wendy, be sure to check the WS'ing Exchange forum come this fall when seed harvesting begins. I'm sure there will be lots of trading and SASE when the time comes ;)

Sharon

• tabbycat55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Sharon. I'll be sure to watch the ws'ing exchange forum. I didn't get any seeds at Walmart last week, but I did pick up some 28L bags Scotts potting medium for $7.00 a bag. I thought that was a good price.....?

btw, has anyone w/s penesetum rubrum? I bought a container this summer (seed heads are great in bouquets) and then realized it's not hardy in my zone 6. It was a bit pricey, so it would be nice to be able to have some from seed next summer.

Wendy

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Wendy, its my understanding that the seed of Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' is sterile. Propagation is by division only.

Is there a cold room where you can try overwintering your plant, I tried in my pumphouse with no luck, but in zone 6, you might have better luck.

Sharon

• tabbycat55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Definitely will give overwintering a try, cause I'd like to hang on to the clump I have. I have a garage but not sure if that will be enough protection from the cold. Guess I'll find out.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

I've made cut flower arrangements with pretty much everything!

Short plants like Pansies and Marigolds, etc, go into salt shakers (with the tops removed) or I've recently even seen toothbrush holders used -- leave the holder part in place and use it like you would a flower-frog thingy.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH