Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

OK!!! I confess!!

tiffy_z5_6_can
17 years ago

I still have things in containers, and I'm not talking plants which were potted and placed away from slugs. I'm talking original containers used in February, March, and April.

These include Echinaceas, Siberian Mullein, Amsonia, Astilbes. Columbines (2 kinds), Hostas, and Perennial Poppies.

Bad Mama! Bad Mama!!

So, who else just hasn't figured out where to place them in the gardens or has neglected to pot them in a bigger root space?

Oh, so cruel - but they are doing well!!

Comments (6)

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

Don't worry Tiffy, you have company. Just today, I was potting up Rose Campion from my original containers to grow on until the Fall, and yesterday, I put my basil in my herb bed!! I still have white carnations, creeping thyme, a few petunias, a few tomato plants, parsley, and thyme in their original containers. Just didn't get around to making those new beds I had planned. But I'm sure I'll find some space for the annuals by next week. The perennials will keep for fall.
    Northerner.
    P.S. How did you fare through Beryl? Any damage?

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

I was a good girl this year, got mine all planted by the end of June. However last year was a different story, I think I was finished mid-September ;)

Sharon

• articfire
    17 years ago

I actually did a little better this year I planted out all of my perennials by late June and the annuals were all done by the 2nd week of July. Although it helped alot that I had my sisters and a few close gardening friends take whole containers off of my hands. This fall I plan on creating 4 new beds to have ready for all of my babies next year. I figure I better be prepared because my wintersowing list is quite long for this year.

Michelle

• north53 Z2b MB
    17 years ago

Do you people all live on acreages? How do you manage to find room for all your perennials? Most of my perennial seedlings are transplanted into flats, with nowhere to go. I really only wanted a couple of each. Now what?
    Do you WS just a few seeds per container? I've seen some of your lists. You have more selection than most nurseries. LOL

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Northerner,
    Thanks for asking! Beryl was just a kick in the behind. Enough to just aggravate. I tied down what I could the night before, and all was well. It was the rains which hurt. We've really had enough of that this year and I'm hoping for a nice growing season from now on... PLLLEEASE!!!

Sharon and Michelle,

I'll have to hire the both of you next year to keep on target. Maybe we can have a support group in 2007. LOL!!

North53,

Cute!! I actually live on 2/3 acre which when bought in 2001 had not a flower growing on it although the property and house was about 30 years old. So I was able to start from scratch and winter sowing saved the day, as well as plants from friends, yard sale plant purchases and the like. I also do stem propagation which I really enjoy so at this point have a few of those on the go too! (Now let me think... where am I going to put those 3 Hydrangea Grandifloras, 5 Hydrangea Endless Summer, 3 more Heliopsis Lorraine Sunshine - already have several of these - and 4 Peegee Hydrangeas? LOL!!)

I try to find a spot for everything, but also have a holding bed where I place extras. Problem is, this year it's full of coneflowers and Rose of Sharons and Hostas... Guess I'll just have to stake out the property and claim more lawn before the fall, eh?

• articfire
    17 years ago

Nicole,
    Hmmm travelling across Canada and of course also to our buddies across the border helping to plant out wintersowing babies now that would be a super job!

North53
    I actually have 2 and 1/2 acres so there is lots of gardening space yet to be used. Just have to convince dh that more beds and borders is a good thing. The biggest help for my planting is I have a large nursery bed it is about 80ft long and 30 feet wide. I plant in rows about 3 feet between rows so I can still go down thru with the tiller. I plant most of the new things there for a season or two to see how it grows. If I love it than it gets prime space in my beds if not then it is either given away or composted. Annuals that I wintersow go into my beds for all season color.

Michelle

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner