Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorraine_2006

First time I'm going to winter sow

lorraine_2006
17 years ago

Hi I was hoping that some experienced winter sowers could help me. I would like to know how to winter sow, containers and the best plants to sow? Thank you for any info. Cheers! Lorraine

Comments (6)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

I'll start off by posting a link to the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) from the main forum. Take a read and do join us for more enjoyment! Welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQs on Winter Sowing.

• musicalmommy
    17 years ago

I'm a total newbie. Just 2 years of gardening experience and I've never grown anything from seed before. What is the difference between winter sowing and the usual method? Is the usual method to start the seeds indoors early spring? Does winter sowing means starting the seeds in flats in the middle of winter and keeping them outside the entire time? I have Poppy seeds from my sister in law. I was planning to sprinkle them into the soil a few weeks before winter frost. That's not winter sowing I know. It's called direct sowing? I'm afraid if I sprinkle them now, the seedlings will germinate and be killed by winter frost. Am I right about that?

• krystine
    17 years ago

Yes, wintersowing means starting the seeds outside in containers and keeping them outside the entire winter. Direct sowing is just as you described. I, personally, would hold off on direct sowing the poppies now and wintersow them.

If I had one piece of advice for newbies, it would be to limit the amount of containers/seeds you wintersow the first year. I did waaaay too many seeds and containers my first time and when it came time for planting out, it became more of a chore than a fun thing to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Krystine's Garden Blog

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Musicalmommy,

Direct sowing is sprinkling them on the soil as you say. You can do this at this time of year since in your zone they will probably not germinate this late in the season. But where those seeds end up after you sow them in the gardens is why some of us winter sow. Rain and birds will take them away.

I don't have lights in the basement, nor do I have a greenhouse, so winter sowing is ideal. And I was planning on placing lights in the basement, but after winter sowing my first year, decided I'd spend the money on other things in the gardens.

In essence, you are creating a little greenhouse with your containers and if growing gardens on a budget, this method is most ideal. What costs me the most is soil - everything else is nominal.

Welcome to winter sowing. Try it! You'll enjoy it I'm sure!

• debios
    17 years ago

Kyrstine love your blog.

My first year I also planted to many jugs and seeded way too heavily. I guess it was because it was the dead of winter and my faith was low.This method of growing does work and works well. Labelling was another problem I had. My labels faded, or fell off or I thought I'd remember my "codes" . LOL There is no better feeling than seeing your first babies appear.

Good luck.

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

Hi Lorraine and welcome. I have WSd for 2 years and I am amazed on how much you can learn from this forum as well as the mother forum. I have been very successful - only this afternoon a neighbour was admiring the asters I WSd last winter. They are really spectacular and my favourite WSd annual. In addition to Tiffy's advice, I also recommend that you read this article by Trudi:

http://gardengal.net/page104.html
    I consider her the 'mother' of winter sowing because it was this article that got me started. For several years, I had been trying to do it, but this article, which I just happend upon, showed me the right way. Good luck!
    Northerner.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists