Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer Proofing a la Winter Sowing.

Posted by tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 21:01

When we first moved here in 2001, we decided to grow sunflowers. In 2002, we planted loads of them in a small meadow on the property. Just as they were about to bloom, the deers came one night and ate all the leaves and buds. The neighbours laughed at the sight of the stalks... My daughter surmised that the 'deers have to eat too maman'.

Since then, I hadn't grown any, but missed them. So this year I picked out some 'Kong' seeds and tried it. Last night the deers were on the property, but I guess this one is too tall!!
YES!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It has a huge bud at the top and I can't wait for it to flower. They also don't like the Marsh Mallow plants growing in the back. Deerproofing is starting to be fun!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer Proofing a la Winter Sowing.

Knock on wood Nicole, but I don't have a deer problem here at our acreage, DH and our dog scares them away if they come too close. I see Daylilies in front do they not eat those?

Good luck on the Sunflowers, I grow them every year too ;)

Sharon

o

Sharon,

They do eat Daylilies, but have been leaving mine alone. They nibbled on them 4 years ago, and haven't touched them since.

We do have two dogs, a Valleybulldog and a Black Lab, and ever since the sunflower fiasco in 2002, the deers had not been on the property except to pass through. But this year they decided to really attack the gardens.

After trying several things - including human urine and don't ask about application of said remedy which did not work - I began making my own concoction of garlic juice. It's been holding them at bay and I'm happy with the results. DH hates the smell of the stuff when I'm making a batch of it, but that's tough! I want gardens!!

o

Tiffy, I know how you feel .We don't have deer here but we do have squirrels. I gave up making concoctions to keep them away. The last year I sowed sunflowers, I planted a variety which grew taller than the roof, but they pulled the whole plant down. I have not tried them in years. I hear there is a new breed of 'seedless' sunflower I'm hoping to try. It's the seeds they want.
Northerner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here