Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19752443

Has anyone wintersown apples?

User
10 years ago

Heyo all -

I'm looking at growing rootstock from seedlings - have some malus Dolgo, Ranetka, and Baccata that I want to plant as the basic rootstocks for my little orchard in the inhospitable foothills of Alberta. Wondering if anyone has any experience with wintersowing apples? Also, any climate-specific tips for wintersowing in the Calgary/Millarville corridor would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• geosankie
    10 years ago

I just came across your note and , Yes, I have winter sown apples just for fun and maybe as some rootstock. It works very well as I sowed 8 seeds last winter and now have 8 little apple trees about 2 feet tall. I'll probably graft to 6 of them and let the other 2 mature in an out of the way spot just to see what I get. I used milk jugs and a sterile potting mix and no fert until a few true leaves showed up ( weak MG ).

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up! I put some seeds out in 4 jugs last month... looking forward to see what comes of it.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, 4 seeds survived out of a whole bunch sown. Ranetka & Dolgo (Baccata didn't take root at all). The little guys are about 6 inches tall and were transplanted from the milk jugs to larger pots. Hoping they'll survive the (too-fast) upcoming winter.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update: none of the little guys (in pots) survived. I'll probably try again this winter & transplant right into the ground from the jugs instead of into pots, see if that makes a difference.

• Amanda Selene-Zone4b-Edm
    8 years ago

I thought from what I read that seeding apples was a bad idea because you won't get a good representation of the parent plant from the seeds, which is why people usually "start" apple trees from grafted branches on a rootstock. I think there's a couple types of apples that are true and can be started from seed but most you'll get an unpredictable type of plant.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals