Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

A few very tall plants

northerner_on
15 years ago

It's the end of our gardening season and I would like to comment on some surprises. These are plants that grow at least twice their size the second year. Some of them have been planted at the front of the border and will have to be moved. Do you have any surprises?

My first is Shasta Daisy 'Alaska'. Last year the plants were about 3 feet tall. This year, they were at least 5 feet tall, were flopping all over the place, and had to be staked. I ended up cutting them all back very early and have had a few re-blooms recently. Note the fence in the background is 8 feet high.

{{gwi:541693}}

Then there was Agastache. Last year about 2 feet high, this year about six feet tall, with long fragrant lilac blooms which the bees and butterflies loved. The blooms are now whiter, drying, but still look attractive. Should provide good winter interest.

{{gwi:363425}}

Another tall specimen is Monarda fistuloso, which I believe is a 'wild' one. This was about 2 feet last year, no blooms, but has grown to about six feet, needed to be staked, but is full of lilac blooms which the butterflies and bees love. Not a stunner, but quite nice.

{{gwi:541697}}

Finally, what I call Heavenly Helenium. I sowed these last winter and they bloomed - lovely fal1 colours on 2 feet plants which were in time for our Thanksgiving. In fact, I used them as cut flowers for our thanksgiving dinner. This year, they shot up to 6 feet, but they are fully erect- no staking needed even after all our rains. They bloomed quite early this year, and it seems they will be around for Thanksgiving. I love these plants but will have to move the ones in front of the border next to the Gaillardia.

This is Helenium striatum - yellow flowers with brown stripes

{{gwi:431779}}

This is Helenium superbum - plain yellow flowers

{{gwi:431780}}

This is Helenium rubrum - red/rust flowers

{{gwi:431781}}

Let's share our surprises. It could be helpful.

Northerner.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!