Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few very tall plants

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 5:42

It's the end of our gardening season and I would like to comment on some surprises. These are plants that grow at least twice their size the second year. Some of them have been planted at the front of the border and will have to be moved. Do you have any surprises?
My first is Shasta Daisy 'Alaska'. Last year the plants were about 3 feet tall. This year, they were at least 5 feet tall, were flopping all over the place, and had to be staked. I ended up cutting them all back very early and have had a few re-blooms recently. Note the fence in the background is 8 feet high.
Shasta Daisy 'Alaska' - 2nd year
Then there was Agastache. Last year about 2 feet high, this year about six feet tall, with long fragrant lilac blooms which the bees and butterflies loved. The blooms are now whiter, drying, but still look attractive. Should provide good winter interest.
Agastache - 2nd year
Another tall specimen is Monarda fistuloso, which I believe is a 'wild' one. This was about 2 feet last year, no blooms, but has grown to about six feet, needed to be staked, but is full of lilac blooms which the butterflies and bees love. Not a stunner, but quite nice.
Monarda fistuloso
Finally, what I call Heavenly Helenium. I sowed these last winter and they bloomed - lovely fal1 colours on 2 feet plants which were in time for our Thanksgiving. In fact, I used them as cut flowers for our thanksgiving dinner. This year, they shot up to 6 feet, but they are fully erect- no staking needed even after all our rains. They bloomed quite early this year, and it seems they will be around for Thanksgiving. I love these plants but will have to move the ones in front of the border next to the Gaillardia.
This is Helenium striatum - yellow flowers with brown stripes
Helenium - Striped
This is Helenium superbum - plain yellow flowers
Helenium - Yellow Shades
This is Helenium rubrum - red/rust flowers
Helenium Red Shades
Let's share our surprises. It could be helpful.
Northerner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few very tall plants

• Posted by lgslgs z6 SE ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 13:59

I found your photos and comments very helpful. I've got first year agastache and monarda in my garden, and it was great to hear about how your second year plants are doing.

Lynda

o
RE: A few very tall plants

Hi Northener,

I was Canadian, Brampton, Ontario, now American citizen too, still Canadian citizen .

Really nice pix, are you intested in trading for any or all pictured one. I have most of the same (butterfly garden) but nothing that grows that tall, must be that Canadian air. If you wish, go to the seed exchange and type in hank2230 to look at my seeds.

Happy Thanksgiving

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here