Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
w/s for 2014

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 9:10

I haven't done any w/s for a few years but am going to be doing some for next year. I want to try alyssum, the white one. Anyone ever try that one? I've done lettuce before and it did very well, better than when I sowed the seeds directly. Pansies, petunias and penstemon are also on my list. Anyone ever try w/s kale? I bought some last year and it did well this summer so I want to try starting some so we have more. There are the usual culprits I did, calendula, marigolds, impatience, herbs, balsam, 4 o'clocks, convolvulus, cosmos. What do you guys have planned to w/s? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: w/s for 2014

It is early, but I am planning to WS Canterbury Bells,
Callirhoe,Phlox divaricata, Delphiniums, Poppies,
Lupins, Hollyhocks.
Sweet William, ---I can' remember without going through my seed box.
Caroline

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 8:40

I know it's to early to do any wintersowing, but I'm always interested in seeing what everyone else has planned to do. I did do CB last year and they did great, I've also done lupins and hollyhocks before. That reminds me, I need more lupins. Marg

o

I would like to try winter sowing. Is there some guidelines that are out there?

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 8:23

Wintersowing.org is a great site. After you read that come back here and just ask whatever questions you have. There are a lot of people on the Far North forum, and here, that helped me when I started. Marg

o

I've done alyssum, Marg - around here i don't winter sow them, but use the winter sowing technique in April (last year, i believe, it was winter in April!). They've usually done quite well.

o

Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 21:20

Thanks Marcia. I'll give that a try.

o

I'll be doing lots of Zinnias, petunias, sweet william and lupins because my gardens are full of perennials. The last couple of years I have been concentrating on veggies: squash, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, lots of herbs and green onions and a number of hot and super hot peppers. Last year was a disaster because I took a short July vacation but fell ill and was not back until September. All my produce had ripened, fallen on the ground, or were over-ripe (hard zucchini, tomatoes, okras, beans) and had to be discarded. I did use some for seed saving. So I am looking forward to this year.

o

I've never done peppers before. Can you also do sweet peppers that way? I'm trading my hot pepper seeds because DH decided he didn't want them any more. I did do lettuce that way before and it was really good. Mostly I'll be doing flowers tho. Marg

o

Peppers are very slow to grow so I would not winter sow them here in zone 3. I start them under lights indoors.
Same with tomatoes.

o

This winter has been so long and snowy and cold that i had no desire to do any winter sowing. Finally i did a few containers last week - foxglove, perennial aster (an experiment with saved seeds), some lupines i'd like to keep going (yellow, blue and white), some dianthus for my white garden, a pretty hollyhock, rudbeckia, and more saponaria. That will be it until i start to spring sow annuals. This year, that could be May. Or June! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here