Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

w/s for 2014

marricgardens
10 years ago

I haven't done any w/s for a few years but am going to be doing some for next year. I want to try alyssum, the white one. Anyone ever try that one? I've done lettuce before and it did very well, better than when I sowed the seeds directly. Pansies, petunias and penstemon are also on my list. Anyone ever try w/s kale? I bought some last year and it did well this summer so I want to try starting some so we have more. There are the usual culprits I did, calendula, marigolds, impatience, herbs, balsam, 4 o'clocks, convolvulus, cosmos. What do you guys have planned to w/s? Marg

Comments (10)

• xaroline
    10 years ago

It is early, but I am planning to WS Canterbury Bells,
    Callirhoe,Phlox divaricata, Delphiniums, Poppies,
    Lupins, Hollyhocks.
    Sweet William, ---I can' remember without going through my seed box.
    Caroline

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know it's to early to do any wintersowing, but I'm always interested in seeing what everyone else has planned to do. I did do CB last year and they did great, I've also done lupins and hollyhocks before. That reminds me, I need more lupins. Marg

• rfaucher
    10 years ago

I would like to try winter sowing. Is there some guidelines that are out there?

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wintersowing.org is a great site. After you read that come back here and just ask whatever questions you have. There are a lot of people on the Far North forum, and here, that helped me when I started. Marg

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

I've done alyssum, Marg - around here i don't winter sow them, but use the winter sowing technique in April (last year, i believe, it was winter in April!). They've usually done quite well.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Marcia. I'll give that a try.

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

I'll be doing lots of Zinnias, petunias, sweet william and lupins because my gardens are full of perennials. The last couple of years I have been concentrating on veggies: squash, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, lots of herbs and green onions and a number of hot and super hot peppers. Last year was a disaster because I took a short July vacation but fell ill and was not back until September. All my produce had ripened, fallen on the ground, or were over-ripe (hard zucchini, tomatoes, okras, beans) and had to be discarded. I did use some for seed saving. So I am looking forward to this year.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've never done peppers before. Can you also do sweet peppers that way? I'm trading my hot pepper seeds because DH decided he didn't want them any more. I did do lettuce that way before and it was really good. Mostly I'll be doing flowers tho. Marg

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Peppers are very slow to grow so I would not winter sow them here in zone 3. I start them under lights indoors.
    Same with tomatoes.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

This winter has been so long and snowy and cold that i had no desire to do any winter sowing. Finally i did a few containers last week - foxglove, perennial aster (an experiment with saved seeds), some lupines i'd like to keep going (yellow, blue and white), some dianthus for my white garden, a pretty hollyhock, rudbeckia, and more saponaria. That will be it until i start to spring sow annuals. This year, that could be May. Or June! LOL