Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skraps_gw

Japanese maple

skraps
17 years ago

Has anyone winter sowed this from seeds? If so any success?

Comments (5)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

I tried them a couple of years ago but they didn't sprout. Latter on I discovered that this is a seed which has to be sown while quite fresh.

Maybe someone with success will chime in and give us a few tips!

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

I just scarfed some from my SIL's tree with the idea of spring sowing them. After seeing your comment though, "tiffy", I'm going to see if I can germinate them now. Will keep you posted.

Wendy

• skraps
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks I will try some to my tree if loaded with seeds.

• aray2006
    17 years ago

I've done this successfully! My seedlings are about 6" tall after the first summer.

Last August I took down all the seeds and let them dry for a few weeks on a plate in my house. I don't know if the next step is good to do or not but I figure I needed a short cut to allow the seed to pop in the spring. Then, I took a sharp blade and sliced the skin around the seed (just a small slice) at the corner to give it a little break/help in the spring to pop. Be careful not to cut too deeply or cut the actual seed inside. Slice along the corner between the seed and wing. I took some cups with put some holes in the bottom and put in some soiless potting mix and stuck a seed about 1 cm down in the middle not covering the seed (1 per cup). I also built a cold frame last year and just stuck those cups in there for over the winter. I watered it gently when it was warm and basically forgot about them until the spring with no extra cover. In the spring, you'll see a little red thing coming out hopefully (mine are red). I kept the little guys in partial shade for pretty much the warmer months and gave it a little more sun around august. The seedlings had about 4 sets of leaves on them, mind you my red ones turned green a few weeks after they sprout. They look very nice.

Also, if you like boxwood, here's how. Do some cuttings in September, strip about 2/3's of the leaves, dip them in root powder. If you do about 20 cuttings or more, stick them all together and wrap a string around them. Just stick them all in a cup with the same soiless potting soil. Leave in the cold frame over winter. In the spring (april), you can take them apart and you'll see these thick mini roots hanging off the bottom. Stick them in individual cups or in the ground. My cutting after one year look the same size but they have little sprout branches/leaves on them. Boxwoods take a while to get to a nice size but what's the rush...

Hope this helps!

• skraps
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much .I will try this soon..

Sponsored