Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens surprise!!

Posted by northerner_on z4 ONCanada (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 11:47

Members of the 'Mother' forum may remember a discussion on the merits of WSing impatiens. From everyone's experience, the concensus was that they were not worth it - the blooms would be too late and the plants not vigorous (I think). However, I had collected seeds from my whites and reds of the previous year,and had already planted them, so I just left the seedlings (which were very small) in the containers over the summer until about a month ago when I went to turf them. Hating to thrwo plant out I just decided to plant a few in a pot which had some room and to my surprise, yesterday I had the most beautiful bloom and several maturing buds on one plant, while the other two plants are laden with maturing buds. This bloom is pink, a pale beautiful baby pink. Imagine doing that in one month. I could not believe it. Isn't Mother Nature great!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens surprise!!

Ahhhh. Yet again, the 'consensus' is defeated!

I get a kick out of folks who discourage by insisting that (1)a plant will not come true from seeds obtained on exchanges, (2) it won't grow in your zone, and (3) it's not worth the effort.

Enjoy the impatient! You'll have to get a digi to post pics in the future...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here