Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato

Posted by horsetail 5cent.On (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 12:04

I just found this site and it is really interesting ws a tomato a few years ago but didn't realise that I was ws ing.I had read about it in a magazine. You take the whole tomato and "plant" it in a flower pot , about 2/3 down in. Leave it until January and then bring out to a window and start watering it. The plantlets will soon appear. These were the best transplants I have ever had.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato

Does the tomato have to be red? Or can I take a green tomato? I think I'm going to try it.

o

I used a red one but if you think the seed will continue to ripen in the green one it should grow.I know if you wrap green tomatoes in paper they continue to ripen,just slower.

o

Sounds like a really interesting way to start tomatoes, but technically it isn't winter sowing. That's done outside. I guess in a warmer zone, you could do it outside because i've heard of people winter sowing tomatoes. Up here it probably wouldn't be worth it to try it outside. Where do you put the container once you plant the whole tomato in it? In a cool place?

o

Yes I put it in a cold storage room. And yes you are right:now that you mention it it isn't winter sowing.Sorry.

o

Can you still get good tomatoes ??? The ones you buy at the store are awful. The ones I plant are not much better. Where can I get seeds that make good old fashioned tomatoes ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here