Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Hosta questions - Tiffy will know

northerner_on
17 years ago

I searched the FAQ on the Hosta Forum and could not find a satisfactory answer so I have turned to my Canadian forum for help:

This winter I received some hosta seeds with a seed giveaway. Not having any knowledge of growing hosta from seed I WSed them. I am now the owner of 5 hosta seedlings which I have grown over the summer in 4-inch pots. Some have four leaves but there is one with 2 larger leaves. I have a new area next to my cedar hedge which I plan on converting to a hosta garden so my question is: should I put these seedlings in the ground now or wait until spring? I have overwintered plants in pots by plunging the pots in the ground. Is this an option for hostas? If I plant them, what is a good mulch to get them through our frigid Ontario winter?

I also have four 2-year old hostas which I plan to use in this new garden. Should I move them now or is spring the best time? Thank you all.

Northerner.

Comments (4)

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

I think I would sink the pots into the ground and then cover with some sort of mulch ... even a lot of leaves to protect them. This way there won't be any disturbance for the rooting system. They are already used to the pot and the cooler weather we are beginning to get. In the spring when they start to grow would be a great time to remove them from the pots and plant into the ground. I have no idea if that is the right thing to do, but it is the way I would do it.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Northerner,

Not knowing better, last year I planted my new hosta seedlings in a holding bed. I removed them from the pots. Forgot to mulch.

In January, the ground had barely frozen - our mildest winter ever. There was no snow. When I walked by the holding bed, I noticed the tiny hostas had heaved. I took a bag of shredded leaves and dumped them over the hostas after placing some potting soil over the root areas which were exposed and cross my fingers. I didn't expect much to survive seeing the shape they were in.

But in the spring, when things warmed up, they broke ground and started growing as if not a thing had happened! They are tough!

That is not to say I will be doing the same this year. In the next week or so, this year's babies will be placed in the holding bed, but this time they won't be removed from their pots and the mulch will not be forgotten. I'd probably do the same with the two year olds. Older hostas I would not hesitate to plant right in the ground.

Shredded leaves are good for mulch. Whole leaves tend to mat. I've also used pine needles from my father's trees and pine shavings from a mill up the road as well as dried seaweed for mulch and all work very well.

Glad to hear you're a Hosta Momma!! :)

• sharont
    17 years ago

Mark them well. They will emerg late as all hostas do..if you plant them in the ground out of their pots now. I have lost a couple of babies turning over soil in the spring forgetting the exact spot I had planted them! LOL That was when I first started experimenting.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to you all for you help. Having seen Tiffy's pics of her baby hostas, I felt she could offer some good advice. I will sink the pots in the ground and cover with shredded leaves from the large maple in our front yard. That will give me time in the Spring to properly prepare the new bed in which they will go.I think I will also move the 2-year olds in the Spring. Too much to do in too little time. Today was a lovely day for me - I received my bulb order. I always find it exciting when I have new bulbs to plant, but I have to do that before moving anything which I don't have to. Thank you again.
    Northerner.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!