Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laxeash_gw

When do you winter sow?

laxeash
17 years ago

Hello

I'm a newbie to gardening and would like to try my hand at wintersowing. I've been reading the FAQ and gathering info.

I'm just confused as to when i can start the process?

I hate being outdoors or even in the garage in winter doing prep work for wintersowing. So I'm curious when do you wintersow? Can I sow seeds say Oct end or Nov early or do I have to wait for the dead winter (Jan)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Depends on the type of seeds you're sowing. Some need a longer period of stratification, so you do them early, like late December or early January. After that, it depends on what zone you're in. Here in zone 3, i start in earnest in March, while others in higher zones go all winter. And i do mine right in the kitchen - no need to freeze your buns off in the garage! (Besides, i tried that - freezing 'em off - and it doesn't work!)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

I do mine in the kitchen too and then race out to the deck, plop the container down, and race back inside. Usually dressed in my comfy pyjamas since most of my wsing is done mostly in the evenings or in the mornings. My boots are ready by the door, ready to slide in and out of my feet as I go in and out - sometimes I introduce my slippers to snow...

Containers are prepped and filled with soil in the basement, but have to be soaked in the kitchen sink since I don't have a sink in the basement.

Here in Zone 5/6, I start in late February. Even seeds which need stratification will be started then since they will have plenty of freeze/thaw action if started at that time.

• garden_chicken
    17 years ago

"Besides, i tried that - freezing 'em off - and it doesn't work!"
    Haaahaaahaaa Marcia!

• madawaska
    17 years ago

Kitchen counter in January/February for me too. I hate the cold! I might like it a bit better if it did freeze parts of my buns off.

• peatpod
    17 years ago

Laxeash .. if you post a list of some of the seeds and where in Ontario you reside we might be able to give you a better idea. I live in Burlington and WS from Feb right through until the Spring. I do the seeds that require cold in Feb and the tender annuals in the spring. I have had great success and always find I have WAY too much in the spring :o)

Laura

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Ditto with Laura, and I use my laundry room. My folding table becomes w/s central. I have a tote bin of potting soil down there already, and another bale to break into when I need it. Don't leave the soil where it can freeze..no fun. I sow about 10 2 litre bottles at a time, put them on a tray, and run them out to the deck.
    I spent November and December last year collecting bottles. They're now clean and ready to re-use this winter, although I don't plan on starting as many (ha ha ha)this winter.
    Check out this link to see w/s progress
    Winter sowing is much more fun than cleaning out the crawlspace or organizing the family photos, and the rewards are spectacular. Keep posting.

Here is a link that might be useful: w/s gardens

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

I'm with Marcia on this one (right down to wishing I could freeze some excess off!!!LOL) I've put out some things in Jan/Feb but for the most part I wait till March. I also do mine right in the kitchen. I use an old tray to collect all the finished jugs on and then run that out to my little un-heated greenhouse that I always use. And yup, I got my boots by the back door along with my winter jacket!

Ang

• laxeash
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you guys for the suggestions!

Laura, here is the list of seeds I have and I live in Mississauga.

1. Delphinium
    2. Blanket Flower
    3. Nigella
    4. Portulaca (I don't think I can WS this one. Sow indoors in April? I don't own greenhouse)
    5. Nicotina (WS? I guess not)
    6. Candytuft
    7. Cosmos

Thatz it!! Just want to start small scale, LOL.

Any feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks
    easwari

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Laxeash, I WS Nicotiana all the time with great results. Not too sure about the Portulaca as I've never done them, but I've been told that Livingston Daisy can be WS and I am going to try that this year. You could try a container inside in April and try some WS and compare.

I WS Sub-Arctic 'Plenty' tomatoes last year (with extra protection) and they were the BEST tomatoes ever! Actually STILL are the best --- I've got a few still turning red for me! Yeah!

Ang

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

Hello Laxeash,
    My copy of the combined 2003-2004 WS database shows Nicotina being successfully wintersown in zone 5.
    If you want the WS database do a search in the original WS forum.
    Ian

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

I sowed portulaca in April last year with great results. I did 2 Litre bottles, plus two large pots that I sprinkled with seed, covered with plastic wrap and pajama elastic to hold it down. Punched a few holes in the plastic, and it grew like crazy. Easy peasy to prick out the babies and transfer them to the border..go for it!

• laxeash
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks guys, I didn't know I could WS Nicotina!!

Now I'm off to search WS database :)

• lullasierra
    17 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy osmanthus (sweet olive) in Canada... or some of the favorite fragrant plants tha was on another post? I've tried with many nurseries here in Vancouver and they call sweet olive an exotic plant and am on endless wait lists. If you know of a company in Canada who sells osmanthus I would love to hear from you. My email is lullasierra@yahoo.ca. Thanks.

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I tried portulaca last year, my first year of wintersowing, and it did fine, even in 2B. I seeded it in April.
    Connie

Sponsored