Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did you WS too much of this year?

Posted by tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 19:26

What was I thinking????? I still have 14 Milkweed and even more Buddleias to plant or give away!

Can you tell I planned for the Monarchs? I've managed to plant 16 Buddleias and 10 Milkweed plants and I am iffy about giving any of the Buddleias away for fear I'll give a nice colour out. Today one started blooming in pure white which was a nice surprise. Most of the Dartmoor seeds have come true and their vigorous nature makes them keepers.

I'll still be looking for seeds of the pink Buddleias this coming winter... I need pink!

But I really have too many - REALLY!! :O)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did you WS too much of this year?

Hi Tiffy: I planted too many of s-o-o-o many things this year. I was expecting to have prepared a new bed by now, but have just started and am using the layering method, so it won't be ready for fall planting. I still have (in their containers) baptisia, 2 sets of Lychnis (maltese cross), Liatris, Echinacea White Swan, perennial Oriental Poppies,hostas, cerastium, verbascum and Shasta daisies (they are even setting buds in their containers). I only just planted out some additional foxgloves and columbines and they are already producing new leaves so they'll be O.K. for next year, but I just don't know what I'll do about these others. Do you have any Buddleia seeds for exchange or SASE? They are on my list and I'd love to have some if they're available.
Northerner.

o

I'll definitely have seeds. There are three mature BBs on the property right now which are forming their seed pods. Might be a while before the seeds are mature - last year I gathered them in December! Keep in touch and I'll save some for you.

What I do with the 'excess' is plant them, pot and all, in a holding area and in the veggie garden. Works like a charm to keep them safe throughout the winter. Just add a bit of mulch such as leaves to cover them a bit. Then in the spring, just uncover and you will have all these plants for those lasagna beds you made this fall. :O)

o

• Posted by mora 6b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 08 at 17:08

Hi Tiffy, just wondering if you have tried the yellow butterfly bushes? I bought three on sale this autumn and will save seeds for you if you like, I'm a sucker for yellow and couldn't resist! M

o

Ooooh la la! Mora, Mora, Mora!!!! I will send you an e-mail soon.

Nicole - Who is drooling right now 'cause she never thought...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here