Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krystine_gw

cheap seeds?

krystine
17 years ago

I know valueseeds doesn't ship to Canada... I found the pumpkin nook last year, and they had a good variety to choose from.

Anybody else know of any other cheap seed sources that ship to Canada?

I suppose I should jump in and try trading seeds sometime...

Kristine

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Nook

Comments (17)

• claubill
    17 years ago

I've been collecting for the last couple of months. Are you looking for anything in particular? I could probably send you some.

• cangrow
    17 years ago

Watch Thompson & Morgan's site for their seed sale. Super deals and they throw in extra packets (more packets for more seeds ordered.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Thompson & Morgan

• krystine
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks very much Claubill -- that's very kind :) I don't think I was looking for anything in particular, just looking to satisfy my seed shopping obsession.

And thanks for the link Cangrow, I'll keep my eyes peeled. ;)

Kristine

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

JL Hudson has darn good prices and with our Canadian $, its a good time to order, they also give you lots of seeds in the packet too.

Here is a link that might be useful: JLHudson Seedsman

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

I'm curious why you don't just order CDN seeds from CDN seed mags?

Barb
    southern Ontario

• bev_w
    17 years ago

I agree with Barb. We should support Canadian businesses where possible, especially local ones. They often sell locally-adapted varieties-- and you're keeping money and jobs close to home.

Re: Pumpkin Nook. I made a small order from this company last year, mainly because of the prices. Ferry Morse used to be an American seed house, real apple pie-- a fact they play up on their web site. Now the Ferry Morse name is owned by Groupe Limagrain, a very large French company that specializes in crop research and genetics. As an environmentalist, I don't like to support this kind of operation.

The seeds I received were all packed in France, the quantities were pretty stingy, and the varieties were, well, garden. Quite ordinary.

Anyway, that was the last time I ever shopped "on price" for seeds.

Now I do trades and shop local. If there is a variety that I can't get locally, I'll get it from the states from seed suppliers that are small, close, and reputable.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

IMO, if youÂre into seed starting, order wherever in the world your heart wishes.

Many seed companies in Canada do not always have the variety I'm looking for, plus some Canadian dealers prices are so outrageously priced for such a small amount of seed, as well, some Canadian companies charge shipping & handling at a outrageously cost too, not to mention viability of the seed.

It pays to shop around and there is nothing wrong ordering outside of Canada. Find a good seed dealer and youÂll be their customer evermore.

Another USA seed company that specializes in hardy zone perennial seeds and at great prices is HardyPlants.Com (Specialty Perennials).

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Plants. Com

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

I must agree with Sharon. It's nice to buy Canadian, but when the variety isn't there, and/or the number of seeds is low, and/or the price isn't agreeable with the budget, then elsewhere I go.

What makes me go elsewhere most of the time is the lack of variety and the shipping costs.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

1 CAD = 0.852152 USD
    Good time to order from the states ;)

• cancolgirl
    17 years ago

I was lucky, my mom went down to the U.S. for a while and I ordered some seeds from valueseeds and had it shipped to the address she is staying at. She just got them yesterday. I did the same thing to get free seeds from this Tea site. (Can't remember what it's called) but they haven't arrived yet and she is coming back Thursday. I hope they make it. Aside from that it's been e-bay. And I am now done. No more cash. lol

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

I hope this information is pertinent (see link below). There are several references to Canadian Seed Companies (do an "Edit, Find" and put in Canada or Canadian) on this page.

Also, eBay.ca has many sellers in Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: William Rubel

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

I don't know where all the stores are located but just letting you know that RONA has seeds on sale 4/$1.00 uptil January 30/07 here.
    Happy Gardening Everyone!

Trish

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

My local dollar store has annual/perennial/veggie seed for 3/$1.00. Picked up some moonflowers and zinnias..I'm going to check out Rona though! OMG! Need more containers!

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Ya, I just got 3 packages of Butterfly Weed seeds for 1.00 at Dollarama. I think if you shop around you 'can' find a variety but don't forget that you can always just ask your local nursery to order in whatever variety of seed packet you want. Just because they don't have it on their shelf or carousels, doesn't mean they won't order it in for you. Same goes for bulbs and the like.

I try, whenever I can to keep my spending local or at least within Canada. I have no vested interest in boosting the American economy.

Barb

• krystine
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL, I guess I should add that I'm an American, living in Canada, so for me it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other ;)

Hope I don't get drummed out of the Canadian wintersowing forum ;)

Kristine

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Of course not Kristine... you know us...CDN's are too laid back to bother kicking anyone ANYWHERE ;o))

Barb

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

Hi everyone:
    I've been away for a while - in China, so I'm now catching up on things. What a gardener's paradise in the Southern coastal region!!
    For basic seeds, my choice is Stokes, not only because of the number of seeds per packet, and their low price, but also the amount of valuable germination and growing information they provide in the catalogue. I was late last year and had no time to 'exchange' and I ordered almost all my seed from them and everything germinated.They are also very honest: there was a sticker on my Salvia saying that their trials returned an 53% germination rate and they had provided extra seeds, but it was my choice to keep them or return for a refund. Their shipping rates are also very reasonable and they are fast.
    Rare seed is expensive and I was referred to a seed-house in Germany by one of the horticulturists at Algonquin College, but their minimum order was 12 Euros. I think exchanges are our best bet for rare seeds. I tried it this year for the first time and was very impressed by the generosity of everyone. Although I like to buy Canadian, I know the owners of a mail-order seed house and they buy and sell seed internationally. So although it may be packaged in Canada, it did not necessarily originate here.
    Happy showing all!!!

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm