Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_heart_flowers

Can I join in?

i_heart_flowers
17 years ago

Here's my story. I usually just click on to the GW to look through the galleries and see all the pretty flowers!! Not that I was bored with that or anything, but I decided to have a look around....and I noticed the words, "Canadian Winter Sowing."

Winter Sowing??

Let's have a peek!!

I can't believe what I've been reading?? Is it true? Will it really work???

Now, keep in mind, I just staring reading this stuff the middle of last week, but I think I might have stumbled on to something here!! Do you mean to say I will not have to endure trays on every flat surface of my basement? No strange light displays? No skinny stems reaching for light?? No bugs in my house???? I'm sold!! So much so that I now have two empty 2 ltr bottles and one milk jug waiting in my garage for more company!!

Keep posting, I'll keep reading and learning! This is great!! I'm SO jazzed!! Putting seeds out in the snow!! Go figure!!!

P.S. When I was out today...I stopped and bought some ProMix...THE BIG BAG!! Don't want to get stuck empty handed come next year!!

Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!!!!

Comments (7)

• cangrow
    17 years ago

Yes, isn't it fabulous? My first year, I didn't find the site until January, and couldn't find soil, and had to beg all my friends to collect jugs so I could get started in time.

I will say the following knowing you are unlikely to heed the warnings, but at least I will feel I've tried.

1. You do not need 50 packages of seeds.
    2. You do not need the Jumbo packs (do you know how long it takes to deadhead 100 sweet pea vines?)
    2. You do not have to sow the entire seed packet.

Have a great time.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

You are more than welcome to join us with that lovely enthusiasm!!

Winter sowing does work. It's fun and a great way to garden in the winter.

Again, a big welcome!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Welcome to Winter Sowing i_heart_flowers,
    you'll be hooked in no time!

Sharon

• i_heart_flowers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the welcome...and the advice. (Note to self: stop collecting seeds!) Check! Well, maybe just a couple more......

Sharon, I was admiring your pics of the kale and cabbage. I grew this little one from seed this year. I'm happy to say I still have some seed so will be giving it a try next year.

Container count today: Pop bottles 6, milk jugs 4 and various other odds and ends - all shallow with nice lids!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:541905}}

• skraps
    17 years ago

my kale didn't do that will this yr for some reason only have one that is good . Gave away about three flats Hope they were succesfull. Won't be growing them next yr . I'm hooked on winter sowing and don't have alot of time to grow things inside.

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

Welcome Heart: You'll be hooked in no time. I noticed no-one told you about the required reading: the FAQ on the Mother Forum called Winter Sowing, and the article that got me hooked by Trudi (you'll soon know who she is):
    http://gardengal.net/page104.html
    One little note, beware of 'shallow' containers. Make sure your containers can accommodate at least 3 inches of soil otherwise you'll be running yourself ragged watering when the spring comes, and you run the chance of having less than optimal root development. Another note: the members of these forums are a wonderful lot ... very helpful. Good luck!

• i_heart_flowers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Northerner - better go measure those containers. I think they might just make it but we'll see - no point in taking up space in my collection box!!

Actually, I found Trudi right off the hop! Her article was one of the first things I read. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Canadian WS and the WS forums. It has become my nightly reading. What a wealth of information! Hopefully I'll be done by the time I'm ready to get started planting. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for all you experts out there. And you're right - you all sound like a wonderful bunch - I'm looking forward to lots of feedback! Finally...someone to understand me! The family is already giving me the, "Now what is she doing" looks. Just wait - I'll show 'em!

Stay warm!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner