Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you doing in Ontario?

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 1:48

Hello there,
I haven't been on in a while because of personal family problems, but everyone is well again and it seems no one is doing anything. I got out today because tonight we expect our first hard frost. It's exceptional that today I still have Canna's, Lychnis Coronaria, Salvia (midnight and Texas Red), Helenium and Toad Lilly still in bloom. My hollyhock has also rewarded me with a second bloom. Today I tried something new (for me )- chipped some leaves with the mower to use the top layer of mulch for my new bed. Looking forward to planting it up in Spring. So what are you all up to?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you doing in Ontario?

Well as you can see by the post below, I am brand new to WS and SO looking forward to trying it for the first time this year. I am busy gathering lots of supplies and collecting and trading seeds. In the garden, I am trying to get all the last minute clean up done. Gathering up all the plants that need to come in and be stored/overwintered, and making room for all of them.

o

Mostly, i've been cleaning up around the yard so that everything is put away before the snow falls. We had a bit of wind (understatement!) the other day, so there are things that blew around that need to be picked up now. I've been collecting boxes to put around my roses and raking leaves to fill the boxes. Some of the roses still have leaves. My geraniums have been inside for a week now and were in the mini-greenhouse for a few weeks before that. I've been trying to get more seeds collected too. One thing i haven't gotten around to doing is pulling dead annuals - tomorrow's job, maybe. :)

o

Marcia, I've had some trouble with the wind too. Wanted to collect leaves for my new bed, and the wind was too strong. Finally got some together today, passed the mower over them and now they are the top layer of my new bed. I still have a few annuals to pull, but I need to cut back my perennials, and turn under my green vegies - can't believe my Swiss Chard is still producing.

o

The deer took care of our swiss chard! :>

o

I've been collecting coffee cups, barry containers and this past weekend I put some soil in them. The containers are ready and waiting for seeds. Since this is my first WS, I am waiting to see a few more post as to when to start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here