Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When does everyone start?

Posted by greylady-gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 7:32

From what I can gather from reading all the info that I can, a good time to start is January but am also seeing that some say mid December. My plans are to start getting serious about it around mid to late January. Is this about right? When does everyone else start? Do you stagger the plantings? Do some seeds go out before others?Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When does everyone start?

Many people in warmer zones start planting on the winter solstice, kind of a celebration. When you start depends on your zone and the kind of seeds you have. Some need longer stratification than others so you would start with them. If we have mild weather, i start in late December or early January. Otherwise i wait for a milder spell to start. The bulk of my sowing is done during March break because i have the time then.

o

There were some things I started last year at Winter Solstice because I was advised to (rose seeds), but I do the bulk of my sowing in February and March. Because we may be away during February this winter, I may start earlier and do all my seeds that need stratification in January. I will soon be direct sowing my poppies - I want to try this method this year to see how it turns out.

o

Well that makes sense. I guess I can decide what I want to plant, find out the requirements for germination, then plant accordingly.
I would love to have my gardens organized and prepared for direct sowing, but I can never get myself to pull or cut back a plant that has any sign of green or flowers/buds, so I end up leaving them and having to do it in the spring.

thanks for the input. :)

Lois

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here