Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greylady_gardener

who is planting??

greylady_gardener
15 years ago

Has anyone started planting yet? When did you start and what did you plant?

I have been so busy and also so sick, but I did manage to plant one jug (juice jug much the size of the gallon milk jugs) on Sunday (the 28th). It was poppy 'allegra' that I got in a swap this year.

I am just now waiting on some 2L bottles from my BIL--he is the pop drinker in the family! :). Will probably get really started by next weekend.

what is happening with everyone else?

gg

Comments (15)

• gardeng8

I hope to begin planting this weekend. Had to get organized...have soil, containers and seeds (bulbs). I picked up some bulbs just the other day (very cheap) and thought that I would try wintersowing them...Nothing to lose I figure. Just need the time to get around to it. I hope to do lots so I better get busy. Have fun everyone!

• gardeng8

Hello everyone, Just started winter sowing yesterday...not sure what the hold up was...but now I have the sowing fever and can't wait to sow more...it is so addictive to be up to your armpits in soil this time of year. I'm sure the neighbours think I'm crazy carrying out containers into the deep piles of snow...let them keep guessing!!! Have fun with all your winter sowing Canada!

• gardeng8

I hope to begin planting this weekend. Had to get organized...have soil, containers and seeds (bulbs). I picked up some bulbs just the other day (very cheap) and thought that I would try wintersowing them...Nothing to lose I figure. Just need the time to get around to it. I hope to do lots so I better get busy. Have fun everyone!

• gardeng8

Hello everyone, Just started winter sowing yesterday...not sure what the hold up was...but now I have the sowing fever and can't wait to sow more...it is so addictive to be up to your armpits in soil this time of year. I'm sure the neighbours think I'm crazy carrying out containers into the deep piles of snow...let them keep guessing!!! Have fun with all your winter sowing Canada!

• gardeng8

• gardeng8

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I'd like to start but i won't get around to it this weekend. I'm hoping to do some indoor sowing pretty soon - just brought in a bag of seed-starting mix, and it's frozen solid. This could take awhile!

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't get to pick up any containers(2L bottles) this weekend, but will probably get them on Thurs. as it is my day off. Hope to get them prepared by the weekend and then plant!!
    the one and only jug I have out there is lonely!! :)

• herbthyme
    15 years ago

This will be my first time WS. Never one to start off small, I have been exchanging seeds with prolific gardeners, and have about 80 different varieties of annuals and perennials to try. Since I don't have near enough pop bottles, I am going to try ziplock bags that I picked up at the dollar store (8 bags for a buck). Of couse I also had to pick up a bag of starter mix at the nursery, (frozen solid) and it is thawing in the entrance way. I haven't yet decided how I am going to arrange all these bags outside yet ... maybe waxed banana boxes would do the trick. I only need them to hold up til May or so, then I can recycle them, or dispose of them in the burn barrel.

I will let you know how I make out over the next couple of weeks.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Last year was my first time to WS and I loved it. I used 2Ls so I have no experience with sowing in the baggies. I get the 2Ls from my BIL and now my neighbour also. Maybe you could ask for containers on your local freecycle group.
    What will you be planting? I did 7 more containers yesterday and now have 20 containers of perennials.

Keep us informed about your planting! :)
    gg

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I did two entire containers a couple of weeks ago. We had a mild spell so the time was right. May do some more this weekend, but i'm not planting a lot of perennials now so the bulk of mine will be done in April.

• adiro
    15 years ago

I already did about 25 containers of all shapes and sizes, from kitty litter ( I just found out they're not good, because opaque white) to little trays that restaurants give. I did it so early, at the end of November and through December. It's my first time wintersowing, I don't know what will succeed. I have at least another 40 varieties, and all my seeds were purchased. They are under two feet of snow now and don't think anything came to life yet.

• Gwyn
    15 years ago

Planted yesterday 5 20l water containers with sweet pea, hollyhock, lupines, poppies and foxglove.
    Have another 3 20l containers so will get to them soon and then will have to use smaller containers.

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I started early to - December. Did a few more today. I now have about 8 flats outside. I'm trying to do more and more outside. My last order from Damseeds is not in yet but I will be doing some of them to. Inside, I have done my bacoopa 'Bluetopia' and 'Ramblin' Petunias. Last year I had gazanias in a window box. In the fall I just treated the soil with Insecticidal soap because I was planning on bringing it into the sunroom for the winter. I then sprinkled gazania seeds over the soil and lightly covered them with some soil. I didn't water til Dec. and now have about 30 gazanias growing. Marg

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I just did a few more containers of catanache (white) and mixed buddleia. Still waiting for my last seed order to come in so I can finish and then start inside. Marg