Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WS Tree Seeds

Posted by billybobc 4a (rcamp48012@aol.com) on
Sat, Dec 1, 07 at 22:39

Hi,

I am a Newbie at WS. I planted my first flat of white cedar and Scots Pine seeds today and stuck them in my cold Greenhouse for the winter. Normally they require 60 days cold stratification before planting. As you can see my main interest is germinating tree seeds, especially those that benefit wildlife. I own a good size woodlot and I am constantly planting indiginous trees and shrubs.

Is there anyone with experience at WS tree seeds? I would really appreciate any tips or help. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WS Tree Seeds

Watch carefully for germination February though March. If seeds in plastic bags, they may burn when temps increase.
Allow good ventilation and avoid drying out after germination. Transplant sprouts to pots of soilless mix. Stand in a tray and cover with a plastic lid.
Buy a fan for you greenhouse!
That's my tips. Goodluck.
I enjoy sprouting tree and shrub seeds also as I have enough land & lawns to place them in after a few years of acclimatization in increasing sized pots.

o

There is a Tree forum on the Garden Web. You may want to contact them for help. Good luck!!

o

The only thing I could think of is (I've read) that Scots Pine needs light to germinate, so make sure they're not planted too deep.
Good luck!
Koren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here