Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

Has anyone seen seeds for sale in Southern Ontario?

jroot
14 years ago

For some reason, the last message disappeared or is unattainable.

I am wondering if anyone has seen seeds for sale at local stores recently? I was planning on doing some winter sowing of some annuals like wave petunias, as well as some herbs. Around here ( Guelph area) seeds are "scarcer than hen's teeth."

Comments (14)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I never see any seeds until January. You could order from a catalogue, i guess.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Have you tried any of the nurseries such as Royal City in Guelph, or Belgian or Grobe on Hwy 7 toward Breslau? I'm sure they would have seeds, but you may have to ask an employee.

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

I don't see them in nurseries til the end of January. That would still give you enough time to w/s. If you want some in a hurry, why not look at the exchange page? I have some on muy list that I could send. Email me thru my page if you're interested. Marg

• ontnative
    14 years ago

My DH and his friend want to plant veggies in a rental plot this year, so I decided to check out Can Tire for seeds yesterday. Still nothing, but they are busy revamping their product display, so I expect some soon.

• homemommy
    14 years ago

Humber Nurseries has a wide variety of seeds available, just there today. All their Livingston Veggie seeds are 50 cents a pack! However they are last years seed... We bought $25.00 worth! ;)

They had lots of other brands of plant seeds too, but don't look to be up to full stock yet.

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

I went to Home Hardware yesterday and saw a new seed display. I joked that they still had it plastic wrapped to keep me out but they had just gotten them in.

• jroot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I saw them the other day at Canadian Tire in Guelph. I actually got some peas and marigold to try some Winter Sowing. I have a LOT of annual poppy seeds to sow as well ( or make poppy seed cakes LOL ).

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

Canadian Tire has them out here, as well as a lot of their trays and kits. Walmart has nothing yet, and when i inquired about seed-starting mix, they informed me that it was a seasonal item and therefore not in yet. I told them this was the season for it! Sheesh.

• origami_master
    14 years ago

good to know the Canadian Tire in Guelph already has seeds. I'll pay then a visit tomorrow. The past season was terrible for me, that and the fact that I started university didn't give me a chance to care for the gardens near the end of the season nor collect many seeds.

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Dollarama just got them in..still in the shipping boxes. I'm going back in a couple of days to try again. They're Mackenzie seeds, three packs a buck. Can't beat that! (Other than swapping!)

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Lots of seeds for sale now, but mostly all one brand name, so every store has the same stuff. I haven't been to any "real" nurseries yet. They usually have seeds from several different companies.

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Got a whack of annuals from Dollarama today. Morning glory, cosmos, four o'clocks, nasties..all 3 for a buck. Nice to get them early before they're picked over.

• jroot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've seen a lot of them out and about now. I did purchase some, but I didn't get as good a deal as you did, Wendy. Maybe I should check them out again, as I don't have any Four O'clocks yet. Hmmm .... three for a buck ..... good deal.

• dahlitsa
    14 years ago

I was out to Rona in Cambridge yesterday amd they had some things but I didn't think the choice was too good.

Sponsored