Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccccccory

Advice Needed for Carnivorous Plant Project

ccccccory
15 years ago

Hello All! I am a student at Webster University and I am doing a project on carnivorous plants for my Biology of Plants class. I was wondering if you could help me out on figuring out which plants grow the fastest, eat the most, etc. I plan on growing venus fly traps, cephalotus, and one or two others under a grow light in my basement. Any suggestions for other plants/instructional books/websites/etc.? I'm basically a beginner at this whole thing, so I would appriceate any help you could give me.

Thanks,

Cory

Comments (5)

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

There is a great, book sized, FAQ here:
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

There's also a book which I would almost call required reading for anyone starting to work with Carnivorous Plants here:
    http://www.californiacarnivores.com/thesavagegardenbypeterdamato.aspx

As for the fastest growing, not sure. Some cultivars of VFTs grow pretty fast -- "Vigorous", for example, is named just for that reason. I hear Cephalotus is a really difficult plant to grow; I haven't tried it because of that.

You didn't mention any Sundews -- I would think you would probably want a Cape Sundew, they are a staple of any Carnivorous Plant collection (mainly cause they grow so WELL -- they're almost a weed).. Drosera Adelae is also really prolific (in theory, I've killed 2 without any luck). You could also look at the Pygmy sundews for an interesting contrast -- they are extremely small but also somewhat prolific as each plant can make hundreds of clones each year.

I hear some of the Bladderworts are pretty fast growers as well, but I'm not sure, as I do not currently grow any of these.

I am not sure as to the scope of your project. Is it just an observational thing?

• ccccccory
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have to research, observe, and grow either a plant, or a few plants. I wanted to do either carnivorous plants, just because they are so interesting and there are so many types of them, or aloe plants, because they are interesting and have multiple uses. That's basically it though, i think. The class just started, so I know the professor will tell us more as they semester goes on, I just want to have a jumpstart on the plants that I'm growing. Thank you for your help though!

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

The fastest growing are D. capensis & D. adelae. If you are interested with bladderworts U. bisquamata and sandersonii are fast growers plus shoot out neat flowers. Eat the most? I think that depends, D. capensis, D. adelae, and Mexican pinguiculas will catch a lot of insects. Sarracenias will often get stuffed with insects like ants and topple over. The mo

I advice not to try Cephalotus yet. That plant is for experienced growers. Follow websites mccantrell has provided. They do provided good information on how to grow CPs.

If you visit Peter DÂAmatoÂs Nursery California Carnivore, check out his windowsill collection. Maybe if you send him an e-mail, he can recommend what plants are easy for a begginer.

Good luck!

• dashman
    15 years ago

I agree that the cape sundew or something in the drosera family is probably the best subject for you. The other cool thing about many sundews is that they react to captured prey and curl up around the insect.

Cephalotus is a very slow grower especially when young. Not to mention the cost of a single junvenille plant. Also, venus flytraps should be in dormancy this time of year and won't emerge until march. They grow the fastest in June/July.

As for eat the most, I would say that north american sarracenia are the winners here. I clip my pitchers every fall to prevent rot and see many many insects that were caught throughout the year. So many that there is no fluid left. The top inch or so of insects are still alive when I prune the leaves and I end up letting them go. But again, they are dormant this time of year.

• ccccccory
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much. I Figured Cephalotus would be one of the more difficult plants to grow. They're just so menacing and grotesquely awesome looking. haha I but really, I am so excited to Start this project and all of you have been a great help. I will definitely keep updating wish my plant progress/ concerns/ problems (if I have any)

Sponsored