Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sons Xmas present

Posted by skmueller Wi (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 2:09

Help! My son's Christmas present is in jeopardy.
Recently, my mother bought a Venus fly trap for my oldest, but he didn't get it for several days as she didn't know it had arrived. I used to have them and always had great luck with growing them, and thankfully, stopped my mother before she fed it taco hamburger (shakes head)... Anyways, I have yet to get to the store for distilled water, but think melted snow is a good substitute? I have sphagnum and perlite 50/50 and about an inch up of the rainwater... It is not , however, thriving. I received it with two dead traps and not sure whether to cut them off or let them wilt on their own. Also, it appears that one of the new traps is turning black as well. What am I doing wrong and how can I save it???? :( it is in front of our biggest east facing window and foes get a lot of light, so again, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sons Xmas present

Melted snow water is fine. Put it in a bright spot, sunny if possible. There is no need to feed it. Don't worry about that for now. You can cut off those 2 dead traps. Give it more time to acclimate to it's new home.

o

VFTs need moist soil not wet. Id take it out of that container sitting in water.

o

Only during dormancy. During active growth keep it in the water tray. IMHO of coarse.

o

How deep is the water in the bowl? Have you kept the level consistent?

o

As long as the water is BELOW the bulb it'll be fine.

o

The only time id keep a vft in a tray with water is if it was in full sun. If you leave a VFT sitting in water in low light conditions it will eventually get root rot and die. Your VFT should be dormant at this time of year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here