Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aashishkabob

New Venus Fly Trap - Question on care

aashishkabob
17 years ago

Hello everyone!

I bought a VFT today at the local Wal-Mart with a buddy of mine. I am a college student at UF in Gainesville, FL.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I be worried about my VFT? It has maybe 4 or 5 traps, all of which are bright green. The traps aren't very sticky, and they aren't the deep red/maroon color I've seen elsewhere. Also, at purchase it had 3-3.5 inch flower stalk, which I have since snipped. (If only I had known that flower stalks are bad news!) I worry that the stalk indicates that the plant hasn't gone into dormancy. What, if anything, should I do?

2. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a college student. That means that I don't have a safe place to keep my plant outdoors. Similarly, it's been a pretty warm winter here, and I worry that the plant won't go into dormancy (or it's not in dormancy). Any ideas on what i can do to ensure dormancy? I've read that putting it in a ziplock bag and into my refridgerator may do the trick.

Comments (5)

• aashishkabob
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Also, can I give it filtered water (like a Brita jug?)

PS Like an idiot I cut its plastic bubble open so that's no longer usable.

• xymox
    17 years ago

Hey aashishkabob,

Congrats on the new purchase of your new VFT.

I read that your plant's traps aren't deep red like the ones' you've seen in books or pictures on-line.

Venus' flytraps will only make reddish traps if they are grown under good lighting. Meaning, they will only make healthy, big red traps if you grow them in a sunny location.

Good thing you clipped off that flower stalk, Unless you are truly experienced growing these magnificent plants, stay away from allowing it to flower. Venus' flytraps don't die after flowering. as long as they get good lighting, they will grow Healthy.

I live in california, i grow my venus' flytraps outside all year round. Some plants i grow them in my windosill.

If your plant is not going dormant, it's Ok. most likely it's confused since it has been growing in that plastic container. remove all the coverings around the plant. Any type of Dome, or plastic cover or plastic cup that covered your plant.. it's best to get rid of it. If it came in a small plastic pot, then it will grow fine there.

If your plant chooses to keep on growing, don't force it to make it go dormant. just keep on growing it. You may give it a proper dormancy next fall. Dormancy isn't only about temperature, but also about Light. as winter arrives, days become shorter and colder. flytraps rely on sunlight in order for them to grow properly.

If you don't have a proper place to grow your plants outside, You may grow your VFT in a sunny windowsill.
    If a sunny windosill is not available, You may grow your plant under flourecent lights. a 40 Watt lightbulb is sufficient. My plants usually get 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight during the growing season(february through october)

Or if they are grown under lights, they will need about 16 hours of artificial lighting daily during the growing season.

To water your plant is easily, Simply fill in a small type of shallow saucer with Purified water only, then after filling the saucer with water, slowly summerge your plant's pot into the water. this way, its soil will always be moisten at all times.

Here's an example how i water my VFTs, i fill in purified water into the saucer, then i summerge its pot into the water to keep its soil always moisten during the growing season. Never allow its soil to dry out:
    {{gwi:545230}}

Venus' flytraps Prefer Being watered with Purified water, reverse osmosis water, rain or clean water. No tap water.

VFTs prefer medias/soils such as:

*sphagnum Peatmoss mixed with perlite.
    *long fibered sphagnum moss
    *sphagnum Peat moss alone.

No regular potting soil for these plants. as regular potting soil contains hidden fertilizers and are much mor suitable for regular house plants. venus' flytraps aren't compatible with fertilizers. their roots burn easily.

Make sure to provide good lighting for your plant. Always keep its Soil moisten at all times.

This is a picture of my flytraps that i grow outside. I allow them to flower every season. they get about 4 to 6 hours of full sunlight during the growing season.
    {{gwi:543965}}

• aashishkabob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the response xymox!

I have one more question for you:

I have read elsewhere on these forums that I should ease the plant into getting direct sunlight. Is that the correct thing to do? Right now it's outside getting some very bright indirect sunlight (it's in the shade next to very bright sunlight). If that's not the right thing to do, I have a nice place I can leave it during the day where it will get some nice light for about 9 hours a day.

• aashishkabob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How should I water this thing? By filling the tray it's in, or directly into the pot? Also, when should it start eating bugs?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    17 years ago

Fill a shallow tray and sit the pot in it. Keep it about an inch deep. Distilled or rain water or reverse osmosis only!

Enjoy your VFT!

Tom

Sponsored