Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_junkie

In need of crash course

plant_junkie
13 years ago

Im sure this question is asked a lot, Im looking for some good links that will give me a crash course on carnivorous plant care. I am currently am trying to grow Dionaea muscipula, Sarracena rubra and S. purpurea. I have them in their little terrarium they came with an plan on leaving them there untill I know enough about terrariums to build them their own. Im starting to fall in love with these little dudes. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

plant_junkie

Comments (12)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Those plants need winter dormancy. Not easy to do in a terrarium.

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

Simply put, it's a death sentence, a slow one, for them in a terrarium. They NEED to be outside.

• plant_junkie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heres my plan, or parts of it. Where Im at it gets quite humid during the spring and summer but the winters get too cold to keep them out all year round. The terrarium would be more so used as a half way home between autumn and winter. I plan on putting them in the fridge from Nov to Feb at which I will bring them out and use the terrarium again as a half way home. I am no stranger to putting a lot of work and effort into caring for my plants. Something this complicated is well worth the learning experience.

Just out of curiousity, why is it such a death sentence for them in a terraium? If I could simulate similar growing conditions and solar periods, then I dont see the problem.

Thank you

plant_junkie

• lycopus
    13 years ago

Should work if you refrigerate them for a few months. I put plants in pots into plastic bags and set them in the back of the fridge.

Just took my S. purpureas out of the fridge and am hoping to get one to bloom this year. I also took a Drosera rotundifolia out a few days ago and the rosette has already opened up quite a bit. One problem with the pitcher plants is they get pretty tall. Can cut them back but the plants increase in size faster if you keep the leaves on. They remain green if they stay above freezing.

If you are completely new to this definitely read up on the other cultural requirements, as CPs are really easy to kill if you don't know what you are doing. Under the right conditions they can thrive with very little care. Most of my plants go months without any attention.

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

Those two particular genuses are extreme sun loving. They need as much real sunlight as possible. Fluorescents and / or window sills just don't cut it. They may seem okay for awhile but they become weak.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

petiolaris is correct. IMHO.

• lycopus
    13 years ago

I agree that they need a good amount of light but it can be provided in a terrarium. When using standard fluorescent lighting the plants need to be kept close to the bulbs. If you want to keep them further from the lights, a 2 bulb T5 HO lighting system with bulbs can be purchased for under $100 from a hydroponics store. I use a 4 bulb, 4 foot T5 HO system at school for our terrariums, although we used to keep our venus flytraps under standard 4 foot shop lamps before buying the newer system and they did well but did not develop much red. I keep three of my flytraps at home in one of those acrylic critter carriers in a west facing window and they have done very well over the last 3 winters. I set it out on the balcony in the summer.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Why do you say it gets too cold where you are to put them out? The sarracenias will do just fine outdoors in zone 6 in the winter. Sarracenia is just about the easiest plant I have ever had. Mine live outside in a bog and get no care at all, other than making sure the bog stays moist (I flood it every few days in the summer) and divide the plants every few years when the clumps get too big.

• lycopus
    13 years ago

Sarracenia purpurea is hardy well north of zone 6 but are you sure about S. rubra? I tried growing S. flava outdoors when I used to live in zone 6 and it barely survived and was a shadow of its former self after the first winter.

• Hegory
    13 years ago

how hardy is purpurea? i live in zone 4 in utah. it gets to zero during the winter and 100 during the summer.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea is hardy to zone 3.

Here is a link that might be useful: purpurea

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert