Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faluzure_gw

Tiny Black bugs In The Water Tray of My Cape Sundew

Faluzure
13 years ago

Hi guys, I'm a first time sundew owner and it's growing very well. It's doing so well that it started flowering. But my question is about these tiny black bugs when watering it.

I put the sundew in a water tray and water it directly via the tray. But every week or so, I attempt to water it directly from the top.

I've noticed that in the past couple months, more and more of these tiny black bugs show up in my water tray. I'm assuming since I'm watering from the top, they drain through the moss and end up in the tray.

At first I thought these were fungus gnats and I've been using Gnatrol (bti) on all my plants. However, I don't think this is fungus gnat larva because Doing a Google search for fungus gnats shows white looking larva. Plus I haven't had a gnat problem for months now.

These are gray-ish black insects, very small. No wings. They are about as thin as a single hair on my sundew but a 3rd of the length. Pretty much they look like this symbol without the quotations ":" (but maybe also a 3rd that size) Further inspection shows that there are a lot around the rim of my flower pot. Probably in the 50-100 range. Crawing around very slowly.

After watering, a good number of them (probably 50-60) float around in the water tray. Eventually they drown in the water tray after a day or two.

I was wondering if you could help identify what these are and any remedy for them. I have 2 different sprays. One of neem oil and the other an imidacloprid. I've never sprayed my sundew before, but fear that maybe I may have to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored