Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_knight

planting hooded pitcher plant seeds

bonsai_knight
17 years ago

I bought some hooded pitcher plant seeds with instructions to plant them in the soil they came with and put them in the refrigerator for eight weeks and then take them out and water them for four weeks and then it says that they will finally sprout. Is this true, or is there some other way to do this?

Comments (2)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

American pitcher plants, as well as some other cp's require a cold stratification period for the seeds to germinate. That is one method. I have a simple approach. I just fill a plastic cup with soil media and overfill with rain water. Then I add the seeds and place at a window in the cold attic. I just make sure they don't dry out.... and wait. I figure that this appraxinates a cold mud environment and when it warms up and has an increased photoperiod, they will germinate. That's this year's approach. Last year I tried putting the seeds in baggies with water, in a bucket of cold water, in the attic, for the winter. That worked.

• gingerpyro
    17 years ago

agreed i've tried the baggy method with a bit of chopped spagnum moss with my seeds haven't sprouted yet thou:( eight weeks might not be nessarsary i had heard that 4 weeks stratification was long enough could be wrong thou i'd say still stratify for the full 8 weeks as this will give you a better chance of success

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor