Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cydneyn

New Venus Fly Trap--Basic ??'s

cydneyn
17 years ago

Hello~ I just purchased a VFT from Lowes... From research on the internet I have found that from Halloween to Valentines Day it should be sort of hibernating and that much of its growth should have died back and you don't need to feed it. Well, it still looks very much green to me! What should I do?

I also found that hamburger is a big NO-NO. I'm not sure where to find mini sized flies in the middle of winter (assuming I still have to feed it at all). Is there any other easy to obtain household food that would work? Or are all too high in fat?

& if there is no alternative to bugs, where to purchase the bugs? The traps are around a cm big, so those are some pretty tiny crickets, flies etc.

How often to spray/water? It is in a little container 5'' tall by 3'' wide.

& what the heck to the websites mean when they say "bright" but not "direct" sunlight? How about an east facing window that gets around a couple hours bright light and med. light the rest of the day?

Any other tips you may have would be greatly appreciated!

And I know this is a lot of questions, I just don't want my little bargain plant to die right away =) Any tips appreciated, Thanks. Cydney.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington