Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutant_hybrid

New N. truncata

mutant_hybrid
16 years ago

I just got my new N. truncata from cobraplant.com yesterday. This is how it looks after unpacking. About the same size as my N. sanguinea when I got it, barely three inches across with 2 inch pitchers. I can't wait to see it a year from now.

{{gwi:545809}}

{{gwi:545812}}

Comments (21)

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

Beautiful! It never ceases to amaze me of how great their plants are. I can't get a freakin' thing to pitcher, but here comes a little baby nep with great little pitchers. I received some N diatas from them in Nov and they were great and naturally, no pitchers since.

Congratulations! I'd love to have one of these some day. Good luck!

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Hooray!
    Mine opened up another pitcher that was the size of a dime when I got it.
    It's pretty quick for me
    Now it's the size of the open pitcher on your plant.
    Updates:
    The Rajah is surprisingly fast!
    It made 2 leaves already but the tendrils on the first one were dead due to
    the shipping shock.Hopefully, this one will produce a pitcher
    Truncata-It grew one new leaf and opened one new pitcher
    Sanguinea- Made one new leaf with an about-to-open pitcher
    Also the other nepenthes arrived yesterday.
    Ventricosa-Lots of leaves, one open pitcher, 2 about-to-open pitchers
    Mira- One open pitcher, one opening pitcher
    Ventricosa X Inermis- Lots of leaves, about a foot tall, no open pitchers,
    5 growing pitchers.
    Great plants, fast shipping,
    Good Luck,
    Adrian

• sehtnepen
    16 years ago

Nice Truncata you have there Mutant :). Here is one I got from them about a year ago (these highland varieties grow a little slower than the lowland kind):

{{gwi:545815}}

• growerofrajah
    16 years ago

WHat kind of soil does cobraplant.com pack it in?

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Why not ask them?
    Anyway, I know it has orchid bark.

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone,

Ilbasso:

Keep working on that environment. Something is amiss somewhere if they won't pitcher for you.

Carnivorousplants:

Good going!

Sehtnepen:

Nice going, hope mine looks like that in a year too.

Growerofrajah:

It looks the same as their #1 mix for Nepenthes... peat, orchid bark, coconut husk in 1/3 mix each.

• nycti
    16 years ago

Congratulations Mutant, thats a beautiful plant. :)

I use cobraplant's nep mix soil for mine. I purchased a home depot sickly looking nep in july and by november it was putting up pitchers. Now it's growing like a weed. :) They do take some time to adjust to the slightest difference in their growing conditions.

A special thanks to Mutant for helping me with it.

Nycti

• all_things_green
    16 years ago

Wow, nice Truncatas! I really like sehtnepens, that's a beautiful yearling! I hope mine looks as nice in a year! I also ordered my N.Truncata through cobraplant.com! I really like there web site, and they have some of the friendliest costumer service that I have seen in a wile! Here's the N. Truncata that I received from them about a week ago. And so far it seems to really be adapting well to it's new home!
    {{gwi:545818}}
    As you can see I made a hanging basket out of the container that it came in. Because the best window in my house is an east facing window over my kitchen sink. I wanted to give it time to adjust to it's new home before I repoted it.;)

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nycti:

Your welcome, but I think you did all the work looking for the info and applying it.

All things green:

Your N. truncata is right at about the same stage of leaf growth mine is. One pitcher dying back, a new one growing in half-way, and a new leaf beginning to unfold.

{{gwi:545820}}

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Hi mutant_hybrid,
    is the water on the leaves humidity or did you just mist it?
    BTW your plant looks great and that pitcher is growing fast.
    Mine is now on it's third one

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

I forgot to ask you if there is any way to measure humidity?
    I was thinking of taking them out of the terrarium but I don't know
    if it's too dry for them.
    I don't know where to get a humidistat so that would'nt work.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

• sehtnepen
    16 years ago

I have found dual temp/humidity gauges at lowes, home depot, and walmart, for about 5-7$. They give a fairly accurate reading of the relative humidity.

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Last time I went to Lowes or Home Depot or Walmart they did'nt have any humidistats

• all_things_green
    16 years ago

Wow mutant hybrid, your N.Truncata is growing fast! I received mine Jan 29, and has done very little if any growth at all? It is getting around 5 hours of direct morning sun, and bright indirect light the rest of the day, and I have noticed that the plants overall color has become a deeper green, but it has not showed any new growth. I am starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I water about every three days with purified reverse osmoses, and fresh rain water (when I can catch it), and allow all excess water to drain out, and away from the pot. It does not stand in water. My temps are around 70F-75F through the day, and night temps around 55F. Is there anything else I should be doing, or not doing? Should I be misting the plant, it is over my kitchen sink so it is getting lots of humidity.
    Thanks for any advice.:)

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Everything you are doing seeems to be right.
    Maybe you did'nt acclimate it slow enough.
    i remember the day I got my rajah, I unpacked it and put it on my windowsill
    5 minutes later, the plant was starting to wilt.
    It perked up that night but that shows us how important it is to acclimatize.
    The only things that might not be right is the humidity and temps.
    Try giving it warmer temps and higher humidity.
    Good Luck,
    Adrian

• all_things_green
    16 years ago

Thanks Adrain for the advice. My N.Truncata has never showed any of the characteristics of shock like welting, or anything like that. It's probably as you said something to do with my temps, and humidity. To raise the humidity, I could use LFS as a top dressing, and mist it a few times a day to keep it just moist. I would thank that would do the trick, what do you thank? As far as night time temps I could move the plant out of the window at night to a warmer part of the house. But I was thanking that I read somewhere that highland Nep's enjoy cooler nights in the 55-60F range? Someone please correct me if I wrong. :)
    Thanks again for the advice. Any, and all is greatly appreciated! ;)

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

I think the live sphagnum would do the trick.
    It would raise humidity alot around the plant.
    Highland neps do like cooler temps at night so you could put a few frozen water bottles around the plant.
    Good Luck,
    Adrian

• nycti
    16 years ago

Hi Adrian,

I bought a hygrometer at Petsmart for $7.00. Then I found this website to learn how to calibrate it.

http://www.sciencecompany.com/barometric/hygrometers.htm

I used the salt and ziplock baggie method to check it. It took a couple of days to get it reading correctly, it was so far off. I check it occasionally just to be sure.

Nycti

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Thanks nycti,
    I'll ask my mom to take me there to check if they have any.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carnivorousplants:

The water is from being sprayed when I watered it. I do a lot of top watering with a spray bottle on heavy spray to simulate rain. I got my humidistat at Wal-Mart. Works great. They usually have some hanging near the plant and pet isles.

All things green:

Give it time. You are using natural light and if you are in North America it is winter, so shorter days equal slower growing Nepenthes. Everything else your doing is fine by the sound of it. Anyways, mine was under 16 hours of 12200 lumen floros and partial light from a south facing window. Now it will be getting direct south window sun with my N. sanguinea, so I will see how they do with no florescents at all in winter. I just changed my setup around and wanted more space for them, but cannot set up a good light system over them for now. I wanted the lights for the sun intensive Drosera and Sarracenia seedlings.

• all_things_green
    16 years ago

Thanks mutant hybrid,

yep I'm in good ole Oklahoma, USA zone 7. :) But I to supplement my plants with fluorescents. Though I usually just use it on overcast day's like it is today. I have no idea how much light lumen's it produces, it is a 36" fixture over my sink, and with two 40W sun sticks. I removed the clear plastic linse plate off, and installed a screw in hanger hock in the middle of it so I could hang my plant directly under it. It hangs 8" below the light source, and when I do use it, I turn it on at sunrise, and leave it on tell sunset about 11 hours or so. I guess if I where to leave it on for 16 as you do, I would start seeing more growth.
    Thanks again for the advice, and info! I'll give it a try!:)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations