Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
all_things_green

New to Nep's need some advice

all_things_green
16 years ago

Hello,

I am fixing to order my very first Nepenthes (N. Rafflesiana) from http://www.bugbitingplants.com/nepenthes-rafflesiana-bareroot.html, and was hoping to get a little advice from you experienced growers so that I can give my Nip a nice new home. :p The place that I would like to put is at an unobscured East window, and right over my kitchen sink. It would get full sun until around 10.30 am, and diffuse reflected light thereafter. Would that be enough/or to much light? And I was also wondering if there would be any possibility of the fumes from detergents (ammonia,bleach,dish soap. etc) harming the plant? as it would get steam baths every time I do dishes. The soil mix that I was thanking of using will be 50/50 LFS+Perlite with maby a little bit of Charcoal scattered in to keep the mix sweet. Would there be any problem with that mix?

Thanks for any, and all help. :)

Comments (15)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello All things green,

East light should be fine for your Nepenthes. They mostly prefer partial sun or just morning sun with plenty of illumination the rest of the day.

The mix you are going to use sounds fine so long as you just keep it moist, but never waterlogged. It should drain quickly and draw air down well. Remember to use activated charcoal for cleansing soil. If it is not activated, it will do nothing at all except add more drainage.

Fumes should not be much of a problem, but avoid using the strongest of those chemicals near the plant. Some people do use soap and bleach diluted in water to wash off their plant leaves, but I do not know what the effects full strength bleach or ammonia would have.

Other than that, it should like the added humidity of your kitchen.

Tip: Do not place water in a tray under the plant, just water it a little every couple of days to keep the soil moist. If some water drains into the tray, remove enough to keep the level less than about 1/8 inch and make sure the pot is much taller than the Nepenthes roots require to keep the water level below them. Nepenthes roots can rot in too much standing water.

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mutant hybrid for the info! I feel much better about the location I will be putting it. I just wasn't sure about the fumes, though I very seldom use anything stronger then bleach, but sometimes when bleach gets mixed with dish soap, strong ammonia fumes are produced. I have a couple other plants in the same location (a Pathos, and a Selaginella lepidophylla) and they do fine. So I shouldn't have a problem.
    Thanks again! :p

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I just want to warn you that bugbitingplants is not a very good source.A lot of people have reported bad quality plants from them and slow service.I once tried to e-mail them to get the price of a plant and I got a very slow and rude response.Besides, their website is very poor. On alot of plants it does'nt even give you the size of the plant!You might think you'll be getting a meduim-sized plant but all they send you is an inch long seedling!You should try more reliable sources like houstonherp.com.They have awsome plants and fast service.I have ordered from them many times and they are great!
    Good Luck,
    Adrian

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi carnivorousplants,
    Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea, as I am new to buying plants online. I will defiantly check into it further.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Other good sources are cobraplant.com and californiacarnivores.com. I have not ordered from bugbitingplants.com, mostly due to the success I have had with cobraplant.com and their service record.

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Well cobraplants does'nt have N. Rafflesiana nor does californiacarnivores.
    Their website looks pretty good though.
    I'll try ordering from them as soon as I get more money.
    Good Luck,
    Adrian

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guy's for the advice! I really do appreciate the help. :p I have checked out both sites, and I believe I will be ordering from houstonherp.com. I really like the looks of there stock, and there site! The photos of there plants is what you will be getting, not some dressed up display pic's. But I believe I will wait until warmer weather before ordering anything. I don't thank Nep's would survive in shipping with temps below freezing?
    Thanks again. :p

• sehtnepen
    16 years ago

Sounds like you've got everything figured out... but just a piece of advice, the suggested vendors have good track records, but there are also other sources. There is hortusb.com, cascadecarnivores.com, CP Jungle (just restarted selling), and Blackjungle (but as a last resort). To be honest, I bought my first two neps ever from bugbitingplants.com and they came just fine, but they do overcharge. Houston Herp should be a good vendor, though I have never ordered from him before. He is the head grower for the NASC though (North American Sarracenia Conservation) so he should have some good plants. There are quite a few other vendors, but those that I listed and the ones listed by other people are the big vendors.

What temp conditions will you be growing the Rafflesiana in? Rafflesiana is a lowlander and likes warmer temperatures, without low night temp drops. Also, keep in mind, steam from a kitchen is not the same as humidity, although the water evaporating from the sink will raise the humidity slightly. Your potting mix for the plant sounds like a good one for a lowlander, but if you decide to get a highlander to go with it, keep in mind your mix should contain almost no peat. Also, Rafflesiana can get huge, so make sure you have room for one.

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well Thanks guys for providing me with a wide variety of vender's to browse through. Wow, I had no idea there so many out there! But of all of them Sarracenia Northwest( www.cobraplant.com) had the most, and the best information about these amazing plant's! These guys specialize in growing, and caring for these plants. And after asking them several questions about there site, and about there plants, they always responded with fast, and friendly replies! They actually care about not only what they sale, but there customers! In my emails I told them that I was new to growing these plants, and also about the growing location I was wanting to have it in, so they suggested that I try one of the highland verity's (N.Truncata or N. ventricosa) to start with. So I went ahead and ordered the N.Truncata, and this is the plant they shipped to me.:p

http://i25.tinypic.com/34fd17r.jpg

I have had the plant for about a week now, and so far it is doing very well! As you can see in the pic the plant is just a baby. I know from what I have read about this species that it takes two years for them to reach maturity. But I was wondering will I see a lot of growth through the upcoming Spring, and Summer months?

I also ordered a VFT (Dionaea muscipula) at the same time. I was supposed to get one plant, but it looks like there are like five plant's in one container! So it should make a nice full pot come this summer! I have the plant outdoors in full sun, and it has already been covered in snow ones, and in temps below freezing sense I have had it, but is doing very well non the less. Overall I am very pleased, and excited with my order from Sarracenia Northwest, and with there fast shipping! I will definitely be getting more from these guys before to long! ;p
    Thanks again for the info!

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

All things green,

This is my N. sanguinea that I bought as a tiny 3 inch plant about 14 months ago from cobraplant.com.

Its newest pitcher is almost 7 inches tall and still has not opened! Almost adult size pitchers (9 inches about the max size).

{{gwi:545891}}

I received my N. truncata from them in 4 days. It shipped on a Tuesday and got to me on a Friday the same week.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Looking real good!

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is a beautiful N.Sanguinea mutant hybrid! I just ordered one of those from cobraplant.com Feb 8 to go with my N.Truncata, I hope both of mine grows as nice as yours! Thanks for sharing the pic's! :)

• nycti
    16 years ago

Mutant,

Just stunning. CPs never fail to put me in awe.

Nycti

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Thanks all.

Nycti,

Yeah, everyone immediately checks out the Nepenthes when they come in the house. They are real show stoppers. I am thinking of getting a nice outdoor setup for some Sarracenias and maybe some Flytraps on the front porch near a big fire ant colony... free fertilizer for them and the reduction of a pest problem.

• nepenthes_sales
    16 years ago

I've ordered from nearly all of the Nepenthes suppliers out there and I have to say that carnivorouspitcherplant.com looks very promising. They don't have a huge selection but look to have better prices than the other major sellers. They also offer next day shipping on all orders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nepenthes for sale

Sponsored