Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jindegales

Nepenthes temperature ranges

jindegales
17 years ago

Can somebody please tell me how many diferent places i must have, if i want to grow all nepenthes species? I grow a N. alata and a N. northiana x maxima (N. "miranda"). They are outside and have 6 years old . I think i have enough experince to proceed with more tough ones. I live in a subtropical climate. I think i can grow lowland species outside all year around without problem, but i will certainly have problems with the Highland species. I was thinking of a cool greenhouse, but do i need other place to grow intermediate ones? Or can i grow some intermediate with the highland and some other intermediate together with the lowland species? Bellow is the temperature ranges of my area. The air humidity is always between 60% and 70%. Thanks on advance =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Madeira Island weather

Comments (4)

• jonocross
    17 years ago

Well, I'd like to answer your question fully but I can't because I honestly don't know the answer. I can share with you what I do know though.

I grow highland species and they all live happilly in my basement under lights hanging in baskets. I have only one exception right now and that's rajah. It's an "ultra-highland" and appearently does better with higher humidity than the others and a little cooler. So, I've got that one in an aquarium while I try and figure out ways to get humidity and good air circulation into the same tank.

Many highland species just need warm days cool night and are somewhat forgiving of some variation in their climate from time to time. I've been told that highlands grow well in windows if they are getting the right amount of sun. (not to much not to little)

Hope that at least started to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangled Web of Aracknight

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Nepenthes are genreally indigeonous to Equatorial Asia and we refer to them as being either highland or lowland, which somewhat determines how we treat them and their respective tolerances. However, we also have a lot of hybrids and not all Neps need be strictly categorized as highland or lowland. Also, the ones that are easiest to obatin are also the easiest to take of. Having said that, depending upon where you live, climatically, and what you have available to you (money, equipment, lighting...)will determine what you can do with them. I live in the Buffalo, NY area, so I can't keep them outside, for 10 months of the year. I do not have a terrarium per se, but I do have one Nep in a plastic tray, under a fluorescent light. I also have a planter of a few others, which reside in oir bathroom window sill. Since they are totally dependent upon what shines through the window, they cease pitchering for ~3 months of the year, now in particular. Some people also grow them in hanging baskets. One friend of mine has his ib a basket, in his kitchen, with light shining in through glass doors and humidity ~35%. Temps around 80-90 is very good for them, with light ~11-13 hours per day. They can tolerate less than that, though.

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

I have two highland nepenthes: N. alata var. elongata and a N. truncata var. highland. Except for my alata that was in greenhouse, my truncata has been in my room since September of last year and just like. Both plants are in my room, low humidity but warm days and slightly cooler night, and both my neps seem to be doing just fine in my book shelf along with my pygmy sundews, D. paradoxa and a couple of terrestrial Utricularia.

Like jonocross, I have my neps grown on regular commercial clamp lamps with bright fluorescent long-live bulbs that I purchased at a store. One thing I made sure was that the bulbÂs brightness is at least 2200 candle. During the day, inside my room is around 80 but during the night, the temp drops to 72 and thatÂs the average temp I keep in my house during summer and winter. So your best bet is growing them inside your house. If you can grow N. alata, which is usually a highland (but can also grow as an intermediate) and N. Miranda, an intermediate. You should be able to grow intermediate outside along with the lowlands. Other good intermediate you can start with are N. ventricosa, N. sibuyanensis, and N. ventrata (natural hybrid of ventricosa & alata). I consider these Neps to be easy plants to grow and gain further experience. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• jindegales
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your answers. I will say as you told me to, and will try to grow them inside. And jonocross your site is very nice.