Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carnivorousplants

Frozen plants

carnivorousplants
16 years ago

Hi,

I put my plants outside on the snowy day.I had forgotten to bring them in

since we had'nt been home.Last night, I brought in some half dead plants.

The Judith Hindle has browned lids, the Dana's Delight did the best, with

no signs of damage.The S. Purpurea does'nt look to bad but the lids are

also dead and the liquid inside the pitchers was literally frozen solid and

so is the dirt.!The VFT is the worst and I do'nt think it's going to make it.

it's green but it feels like boiled lettuce.The Scarlet bell does'nt look bad,

but if if you touch it it's really soft.The sweet pitcher is as bad as the Scarlet

bell.

Is there anything I can do to help them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian

Comments (11)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Check the roots. The leaves are only temporary, but the roots are what matter. If they are still firm and colored properly, they should be fine. Freeze drying is the problem. I would cut back any dead or dying growth and keep them barely moist and cool, letting them thaw out. I bet most of them will make it when spring comes around. What temperatures did you have and how long were they out there?

• sal_mando
    16 years ago

How cold did it get? I froze my VFTs (mid 20s over night) last year and they were fine. I have a Judith Hindle outside this year and it went through a 10F night or two with no damage at all before I covered it with pine needles.
    S. purpurea purpurea should laugh at the cold. S.p. venosa maybe less so.
    Bob

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Generally speaking, Sarrs and VFT's can take some freezing. It depends how much and the health of the given plant. Time will tell.

• carnivorousplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the VFT's dead.The bulb was mushy and blackening.
    The plants look even worse, they are all wrinkled up and dry.
    I looked at the roots and they looked brown-orange.
    The temperature dropped down to 12 degrees and they
    had no protection at all.
    Honestly, I don't think any of them are going to make it.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

• antechron
    16 years ago

I let my plants have a few days in 18F on a semi-regular twelve hour basis and they are fine with that... but wow, 12 may have been a bit much, if I were you, I would not have disturbed anything to check the roots and just let them sit in regular fridge temps for a few days. You would be surprised at just how hardy most of those plants are. As mutant hybrid said, the biggest concern is letting the potting medium dry out in the wind when it gets that cold. But... dunno, some at least should live. What do you others recommend, would it be a good idea to start bringing the plants out of dormancy to try to get some health in the plant so they can start making up for what they lost?

• dkkbeach
    16 years ago

I would think they would all make it. One year I left a Sarracenia oreophila out that was in a ceramic glazed pot and the pot cracked on all four sides because of the ice that formed. But the S. oreophila was not damaged at all. And many times during the winter the soil freezes solid as a brick and all plants are unfazed, including Dionaea. Don't let your plants warm up and then back to cold again, because that can cause rotting. Don't worry too much and stay positive! Good luck!

• organic_trickster
    16 years ago

I agree with dkkbeach. I left my sars outside and they all froze solid! In the spring they sprouted just fine! Have a look at this link from World of Carnivores, it should reassure you but it sounds like your VFT is toast. :(

http://www.world-of-carnivores.com/sarraceniacare.html

• don555
    16 years ago

It's been one and a half months now since the big freeze... how did things turn out?

• carnivorousplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi don555,
    Thank you for caring about my plants.
    They aren't doing well.In fact, they're terrible.
    After the freeze, I watered them and put them in the fridge.
    They currently looking very dried even though the soil is moist.
    I don't think any one of them is going to survive.I took them out about
    2 weeks ago and put them on my cool windowsill then after one week I put
    them under my lights.
    None of them have grown at all.All the growing pitchers from before are black.On cobra plants it said sarracenia pupurea can withstand temps down
    to 20 degrees.S. Purpurea is really cold tolerant.if the purp can't take it,
    what chance do the others have.
    The temperature was nearly half as much as the purp can withstand.
    I feel so mad.I'll have to wait another 4 months until I have the money to rep-
    lace the 5 sarracenia I had.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

• don555
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear that things look so bad. I wouldn't give up on at least the S.purpurea though. When I lived in Ottawa, Canada, I knew someone who grew these in a bog garden, and they did very well outdoors year round -- and at least a few nights each winter it would hit 20 below zero fahrenheit (granted, they were covered by snow, so wouldn't take the cold face-on). They also grow in the wild in some areas near there that have a similar climate. So if your plants had a chance to harden up in the fall, 12F for a day shouldn't bother them at all. Being northern plants that are used to long winters, they may just be very slow to come out of dormancy, so keep trying with at least the S.purpureas until May or June, to see if they are just dormant, not dead. Good luck!
    -Don

• don555
    16 years ago

Guess I should add, with the northern variety of S.purpurea, you wouldn't normally expect new spring growth in the wild until May. So don't give up hope!
    -Don

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!