Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildpersimmons

sundew roots?

wildpersimmons
16 years ago

hey folks,

I was doing some light cleaning on my sundews and pulled lightly on one of the leaves, and the whole plants came up in my hand! it looks like almost all of the root structure is gone! I'm not terribly familiar with care for these. They've been dormant, with the grouping of small leaves for a little while, but can they come back from this or are they doomed? I noticed later that there was a small snail in the pot, which I pulled out, and I've seen some soil-bound fast little critters which I haven't identified yet. slim bodied, silvery looking, around the size of a comma. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

What species of sundew is iit? Do you have a picture? If the plant is still green, would repot in totally new soil media and get rid of the old.

• sal_mando
    16 years ago

I think when Drosera form those little resting buds they can lose their roots along with the leaves.
    Bob

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

Some sundews become loosely anchored to the soil when they are dormant, so it depends what species you have.

Sounds like your pot are infested with springtails but donÂt worry about them, they donÂt do any harm at all to your plants. They it only decayed plant matter, algae, and fungi. IÂve read they reducing decayed vegetation in soil and are the few creatures that can consume DDT! I usually leave them alone because it turns out that they make good for my pygmy sundews, baby sundews, and ping. I just shake the pot a little and they hop right up on the traps.

Now the snails can be a real problem, they eat live plant matter and they have caused damage to my plants, especially my pings, sundews, and the bulbs of my VFTs. Follow Petiolaris advice.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

In addition, if you dig up the pot and notice any roots, you could repot those and look for sprouts in a month or so. Many sundews do reproduce well from root cutting.

• purplemonkeydishwash
    16 years ago

Springtails? There is a possibility the little critters infesting your pot might be destructive thrips. They survive by sucking the juices from your CPs. Unfortunately, i'm not sure how to identify thrips from springtails.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

The adult form of springtails is supposedly harmless and potential CP food. It's the larval form that damages the roots. They're like little hoppy critters.

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

I experienced thrips infestation on few of my plants. One sure way to identify your plants is infested with thrips, the leaves are heavily covered small with dimpled spots and itÂs more noticeable on the pings. Thrips larva in my case looked like tiny worms that can crawl very quickly, they donÂt jump like springtails, and the adult look like tiny flies. Either way both adult and larva stage cause heavy damages on the leaves.

All my pings and a couple of cape sundew and VFT were infested, the ping were the ones that took the worst of it but I was able to get rid of them by dunking them in water to drown them. (Little bastards &%#@!) ;-)

The springtails in my case never caused trouble to my plants, and the larvae seems to be the type that only consume dead vegetable matter. I just shake the pot and they end up as plant food.

Hopefully it is the same in your case. But the slug could be the culprit for the root loss of your sundew.

There could be another reason why your sundew may have lost its roots. If the sundew is dormant and its soil is still very humid at the same point during its growing period, that will lead to root rot. Your dormant sundews should be in a moist media, just taking care that the soil doesnÂt get dry.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz