Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nepenthesinky

Pitchers

NepenthesinKY
13 years ago

I live in Central Ky. I am new to the plants, I have it in a hanging pot and water it about twicw a week with tap water, that has been setting for a few days...I bought it at a festival about four mths ago and it had lots of pitchers on it but they are all dying even the new ones that grow but the plant itself is grow great. Is this normal for the pitchers to die??

Comments (18)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

This time of year it's normal.

Also, STOP using tap water, letting it sit does not help dissipate all the toxins. Get distilled water and start collecting rainwater.

• NepenthesinKY
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was hoping it was just normal, it just concerned me cause all of them are dying but....thanks for the tip.

• NepenthesinKY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I still don't have any new pictures...there are a few of the old ones left but they have been slowly dying since I got it.(none of them have lids left) Now that it has gotten warmer I moved outside and it has been out there for about a mth.(still no new pictures) The plant is still growing good other than a few yellowish leaves. Also I got my parents one at the same time..they have new pictures but some of their stems are turning brown at the soil they almost look as they are dying. We use distilled water only, both are outside. Any help would be great..

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Are they in full Sun? Meaning at least 8 hours a day or more? Are they sitting in a tray of ran or distilled water about 1 inch deep? You can cut off any dead pitchers also.

• hunterkiller03
    12 years ago

Maybe the problem is the what type of pithcer plants you have. Do you have North American pitcher plants, the Sarracenia, or tropical pitcher plants Nepenthes?

Google Nepenthes and Sarracenia to see what plant you are growing.

• NepenthesinKY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, mine gets lots of sun. My dads is hanging under a tree..more shade but he has pictures. His is just turning brown at the dirt on a few of the stems. I'm pretty sure they are Nepenthes plants. Could mine be getting to much sun?? It has new growth and on the end of some of the leaves it looks like it could turn into a picture but nothing so far.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Ahhh, A Nep! Too much Sun. hey like bright indirect Sun.

Get some orchid food. Mix up a gallon 1/4 the recommended rate. Lightly spray THE LEAVES ONLY or wipe some on the leaves with a paper towel every 2 weeks. This will help induce pitchering.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Again all wrong information is being mentioned here. nepenthes love fertilizers as much as roses, orchids and every other plant does. Older pitchers should not die quickly unless the light provided is unstable, not enough or you're simply over correcting the problem without giving the plant enough time to reset itself up.

{{gwi:546076}}

But do fertilize the soil, not the leaf and never the pitcher contents.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Never fertilize by leaves alone. Use fertilizers in the soil where bacteria can break them down to usable nutrients that the plant can absorb.
    {{gwi:546078}}
    The leaves cannot break these kinds of nutrients down for use. And they are basically toxins that the plant will NOT absorb.
    Nepenthes are basically weeds that have developed the production of pitchers to grab at nutrients already presently available in large amounts in their environment in the form of bugs. But these are not enough for the plant to sustain itself for normal development of such pitchers and other plant functions.
    {{gwi:546079}}

• Hegory
    12 years ago

would Shultz plant food plus work or not?

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Schultz will work, but most importantly put this solution into the SOIL, not the pitchers, not the leaves and avoid fish pellets or over feeding the pitchers. these do nothing to make a bigger plant or make healthier pitchers. Fertilizers do.

{{gwi:546080}}

• Hegory
    12 years ago

that's Great! That Merriliana pitcher practicly dwarfs your cat!

• petiolaris
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitty!

• Hegory
    12 years ago

Looks like one merriliana is about to be well fed! HA!HA!HA!

• sitting_boy
    12 years ago

You use that meriliana as a wine pitcher?

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Fertilizing works!
    {{gwi:546081}}
    The roots that is.
    {{gwi:546082}}
    Grow in good light and water frequently, allow water to drain freely from drain holes and even wet the leaves/pitchers too!
    {{gwi:546083}}
    They respond to good light, good growing conditions, etc.
    {{gwi:546084}}

• NepenthesinKY
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have finally started getting pictures....so excited but worried b/c the new ones on my dads died really quick. At the begining of the summer he transplanted his into a bigger pot. I still have mine in the 4' pot it came in. Should I transplant in a bigger pot and when would be the best time to do that???

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Transplant it to a slightly bigger pot, let's say 5 inch pot since the summer is almost over. next spring break out and get it into a six inch pot earlier to make way for more growth (with fertilizers) and more pitchers.
    Avoid foliar feeding and get some into the soil where it will do its best use.
    {{gwi:546085}}